Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full system update for my freelance graphics buisness

Default Full system update for my freelance graphics buisness

Hello Everyone,
    I've started a freelance motion graphics, design and video business a few months ago, and I've decided that it's time to update my from this:

My old system
    • Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
    • Motherboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7125
    • Ram : 1.50GB DDR-200 PC3200U
    • Video Card : RADEON X300 Series
    • Power Supply : 450w RaidMax KY550ATX
    On my new system I'm going to be doing a lot of things: Video editing, 3D rendering, Photoshop Production (high res), Photo editing (RAW). I'll also be doing some audio recording and editing, and midi stuff with Reason 4. I run two if not three monitors, the all time. Gaming is about the only thing I won't be doing.

Since A lot of these tasks are processor heavy, I've decided to go with AMD's new dual core Phenom, so here is the system I've got in mind Total $719

I'd like to stay somewhere in this price range, and stay with AMD. Also, I like that the motherboard has HDMI out, so if one day I decided to buy a blue-ray drive (and a HD TV) then I'll be able to use this system as kind of a HTPC. I also need a case that is big enough to hold a bunch of hard drive (I've got 5 right now and will probably be adding more).

Questions:
    Power Supply: I'm not sure what I need to get. I don't want to spend bunch of money on something that has flashing blue lights, but I am probably going to need some serious wattage for this beast right?
    Graphic Card: I really don't want to spend the money to update from my old card, though it's probably necessary right? What
    advantages will a new video card give me?
    Compatibility: I think it's all compatible.
    My old Ram won't work with this system will it?

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Default Re: Full system update for my freelance graphics buisness

My old Ram won't work with this system will it?
    Yup... DDR is totally incompatible with DDR2
    Graphic Card: I really don't want to spend the money to update from my old card, though it's probably necessary right? What advantages will a new video card give me?
    I don't know which to recommend, but you said you will be doing 3D Rendering so a good card will definitely speed stuff up. Which programs are you going to use to render 3D? Is it Direct X or Open GL?

The power supply is definitely adequate for the task.

EDIT: By the way, Welcome to the forums!

Hey Aguiluz, thanks for the info. I'll be using mostly Cinema 4D, I Think it supports either Direct X or Open GL.

Think one of these graphic card's would do? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127296
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127295

Do you think that power supply is overkill, I'm not sure how to figure out how many watts my system will be pulling? I do love saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbryan View Post

Do you think that power supply is overkill, I'm not sure how to figure out how many watts my system will be pulling? I do love saving money.

If you really want to save money on the PSU just test your old one and see how well it handles your new stuff. It might be enough but I'd say its close to borderline on a system like that.

Thanks for the advice spongebob, that's not a bad idea. Is there a way to test a PSU, or should i just hook up everything and see if it works?

OCZ's latest power supplies are crap for the money. Get a Corsair 550W or 620W and you'll be much better off. Also, if you're not overclocking there is no need for an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Why is HDMI on the motherboard important when you are going to run a video card? Both of those cards are garbage and the onboard video will be just as powerful. In fact, you'd be so much better off getting an ATI video card since that motherboard will allow Crossfire with an ATI video card + the onboard video.

Honestly, I have a really hard time understanding your choices. Going with an inferior AMD setup when you can buy a better Intel setup for the same or less money makes so much more sense. The Intel Q6600 is faster clock for clock than the Phenom for the same money.

Again with the ram, you could cheap out on that too unless you are overclocking.

I wouldn't put a raidmax power supply in my worst enemies PC. Don't waste your time with it.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by dcbryan View Post
    Thanks for the advice spongebob, that's not a bad idea. Is there a way to test a PSU, or should i just hook up everything and see if it works?

You could check the system requirements for your systems most demanding parts such as a CPU or a graphics card for instance and see if they list PSU requirements but its really a shot in the dark even if they did. Hooking it up to the system is the best test you can do since there are so many different things a PSU needs to supply power to its kind of hard to judge it any other way. I'd be the first to admit a good PSU is a nice puter part to have but thats just me so if your pinching penny's maybe testing it would be worth your time. Good luck.....

Alright casecutter, thanks for the input, it's nice to hear somebody with some different ideas. I guess really the only reason that I wanted to stay with AMD is because I thought it would be a better deal. But if not, then I'd switch to an Intel.

As for the OCZ PSU, I searched newegg for highest ratings and most wattage output. That power supply's got 700 5 star reviews, it's hard to argue with that, don't you think? I will do some reaseach into the Corsair 550W & 620W though.

"Again with the ram, you could cheap out on that too unless you are overclocking."
    Are you saying that I don't need 4GB of ram unless I'm overclocking? When I use Adobe After Effect it eats through the gig and half of ram I have in no time.

I took a look at the benchmarks on Tom's Hardware and I think your right, the Q6600 is a better processor. The Q6600 beat the Phenom on the C4D render, Photoshop test, and Adobe Premiere. But the AMD did score better at DVD Playback.

For video cards, I didn't think most cards had HDMI out, do they? The crossfire feature I wasn't aware of, I was reading about it here and it sounds pretty good. Was there a specific ATI video card you had in mind?

Anyway, Casecutter it sounds like you know what you've got some pretty strong opinions, so if you wouldn't mind could you put together a "better Intel setup for the same or less money." I'm all for less money (and a faster computer).

Thanks again for the input.

After doing more research, I'm really thinking about going with the Q6600. This Article by Extreme Tech seems to sum it up. "Final Thoughts: Phenom not so Phenomenal." Now I've got some research to do...

And thanks for the advice spongebob.
    Last edited by dcbryan; 03-22-2008 at 02:04 PM.

What I mean is that you could get 4GB of slower ram, say PC2-667 instead of PC2-800 since you will not notice the difference in speed at stock speeds. I would strongly suggest 4GB of ram, and if anything I'd even more strongly suggest 2X2GB sticks since you can go to 8GB later when you need it. Using programs like I belive you use, you'll get a real benefit of 4GB+ of ram.

The problem with OCZ's power supplies is that they offer poor ripple suppression and that can cause a variety of problems with your computer with a big problem of killing memory. I can name off a dozen cheaper power supplies that are far better. Tell me exactly where you shop for parts and what country you live in and I can give you a better idea of what I would build for you.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information