Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Another n00b Question

Default Another n00b Question

Okay going to say sorry now about this might be little long winded on the topic.

Well my biggest question is going to be about which Video card to go with.

I've gone through read reviews on cards and stuff and more i read the more lost i get :ohno: They all have there Pro's & Con's.

I'm going through and upgrading my stuff this year with the spare money i got rolling in. So i'll post the specs what i got now and what i going to be getting in about 4 weeks. So hoping it'll be easier to help me on which card to go with.

Well here i'll start by posting what i got now for System Specs "before upgrade"

Cheapo Mobo to work with my Video Card As Rock 4CoreDual
    Intel Q6600 G0 Stepping
    ATI Sapphire X1950 Pro AGP
    Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Rosewill RP550 ATX V1.3/ EPS12V 550W Power Supply Was just to get me through until Upgrade
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit

Okay well here is what i plan on upgrading to.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard
    Intel Q6600 (Sticking with this CPU since it still works and got it only 5 months ago)
    Video Card?????? (I'll get to that after i finish the specs on upgrade)
    Kingston HyperX 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Quad Kit Desktop Memory
    Mushkin 550150 ATX12V 650W Power Supply Had very good luck with this in Dad's System so i going to get one also.
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Okay now to the ???? in Video Spot, I've looked at few diffrent cards, And i just don't know what to go with. Just to point out i am not going to be OC'ing anything, Also i doubt i'll be doing any SLI / Crossfire stuff. So hope that helps some. Well let me get you links to the cards to show them to you guys.

ATI Card
    VisionTek 900209 Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB (512MB x 2) 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP

Nvidia Cards
    BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOC2E GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP

[url=BFG Technologies
    BFG Tech BFGE981024GX2E GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP[/url]

Okay before anybody says anything about BFG, I've had nothing but perfect luck with there cards in the past and if there is a issue there isen't 1 problam on the RMA. But If there is a better card and company with Lifetime Warrenty on it please do let me know. I heard the EVGA is great company i just never messed with them is all.

Well there is the 3 Cards i'm looking in to. So if someone could give me some feedback on what i should do, And if need diffrent brand of something please do let me know. This is all mostly about the Video's Cards. But if you got something to mention about the other hardware then you can. All the feedback i can get would be good.

If there is question you need to ask me please ask away and i'll get back with you as soon as i can. And like i said in beginning part of this post it'll be about 3 - 4 weeks before i order anything.

Thanks again everyone

Default Re: Another n00b Question

Okay after doing some relooking. But still few weeks away from ordering stuff so still just looking. Thinking about running SLI. and getting 2 of these...

BFG 8800 GT's

Now if this is better route. comes to the whole. What Mobo now? pretty lost on all the "newer" stuff.

SLI is hard to recommend. I have it and it works OK, but for games that don't directly support SLI it doesn't help. I'd also recommend a single 8800GTS 512MB card since I mainly run 1 with a 24" LCD @ 1920X1200 resolution and it works great. There is alot of stuff coming out around the corner, you may want to wait for a few if you can. If not, you need a 780i/790i motherboard for SLI or a X38/X48 motherboard for Crossfire. The P35 is a good chipset too but it limits you to a single card. That is not a huge deal since you can get a 3870X2 or the 9800GX2. Too many choices really.

What size is your screen and what resolution does it run? That is the only way to decide this.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I'm running a 22' LCD Rez is 1690x1050.

And i did some alot of looking into this setup for Video, Mobo, Ram

Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143117

Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813141005

This one is the one i'm thinking about getting. Along with this Mobo.

Now i'm looking at this memory because of the PC 800 for the Mobo

Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227269

Reason for the 8800 GT OC. There running damn near as hot as the GX2 and X2. Also running neck to neck with most things (now not all but most) with the 8800 GTX. And price of everything best bang for buck i saw was the the 8800 GT OC.

Also with my rez and i don't plan on going out and buying another monitor just to support a higher rez all the newer cards GX2 and X2. are only great with HIGH Rez's. So i figured this would be better off.

But if you want to respond on this plz do. I got 3ish weeks before i'll have the money to spend anyway.

Thread Information