Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gaming/Multimedia Computer

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone could offer any variations in this system and its future performance..
    ASUS 24x10X40 CD Writer RETAIL PACK
    ASUS 52x CD-ROM
    ASUS 16X DVD ROM RETAIL PACK
    ASUS A7V333/A VIA KT333
    Creative INSPIRE5700 5.1 Speaker
    ASUS V8170 GeForce 4 MX440
    Seagate 60Gb Barracuda ATA IV (2x)
    AMD XP 2100 1.73GHz 266MHz
    256M PC2700 DDRRAM (2x)
    Pansonic 1.44 Floppy Disk Drive
    SB Audigy Digital Entertaiment Platinum
    ThermalTake Volcano 7+ Socket A/370
    Unspecific Case(ATX Midi-Tower I picked up for 70$ AUS at Enisun)
    Microsoft Internet Pro
    Logitech Dual Optical
    I have already aquired the case, cdrom, soundcard, floppy and motherboard.
    I'm looking to make it a heavily music/media oriented system, with gaming included. I'm also looking to mod/overclock the case/inards to some extent (Window, fans, ramsinks and the like).
    Anyhow, any coments on how to improve it would be apprieciated.
    Thanks in advance! :D
    "The greatness of Evil lies in its awful accuracy, for without that deadly talent for being in the right place at the right time, Evil must suffer defeat. Unlike it's opposite, Good, Evil is allowed no human failings, no miscalculations. Evil must be perfect, or depend upon the imperfections of others. "

Get rid of the CDROM drive if your getting a DVD player.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

unless you know you will use 3 CDROMS at the same time you won't need the ASUS 52x CD-ROM

with all that top quality stuff there, you really should get a "non-generic" case and some good cooling

Thanks for the quick replies :)
    I was going with a Lian-Li 60 USB, but some friends advised against buying it straight away and spending $350 on a case at the start.
    EDIT: I've sort of got a tight budget this next two months, so that sorta cuts the case idea.
    to the Asus cdrom then :/.
    "The greatness of Evil lies in its awful accuracy, for without that deadly talent for being in the right place at the right time, Evil must suffer defeat. Unlike it's opposite, Good, Evil is allowed no human failings, no miscalculations. Evil must be perfect, or depend upon the imperfections of others. "

Buying a Lian Li is worth the extra $$$ - They are great.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

From what I've seen, everyone who is seriously into modding, gets an Alluminium case. Are there any other cases that are close to Lian-Li's, but cheaper?
    The most expensive part now is the speakers (643.5 /w GST).
    Who knows, maybe I can scab some money of my parents..and claim it on, um, Christmas prezzies for 3 years.

Coolermaster maybe.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

There are some interesting cases there..Now that I've actually thought of it. Parhaps I should just get the comp up and running (without modding it that can be taken off). Then, once the monies come in, buy up a Lian-Li or the likes :D.
    I knew I forgot somthing, the monitor :/. Personally, I want somthing between 17' and 19', although I don't want to break the bank. Achieva only has Hansol and Daewoo monitors(which sucks just a tad).

Andy, Albinus and myself are using these cases. ;)
    http://www.eyo.com.au/details.html?C..._number=G-H600

Save some money by getting an SB Audigy X-Gamer in stead of the Platinum you listed....

Also, pickup a Plextor 24x10x40 burner in place of that Asus

Consider the Logitech Z560 4.1 Surround sound speaker setup....ask anyone, AMAZING speakers

In place of the ASUS V8170 GeForce 4 MX440 i would recommend getting a GF4 Ti4200, MUCH better performance in the same price range

Of course, drop the Asus 52x CD-ROM if you're getting a DVD Drive. You may want to consider a Pioneer DVD-ROM.....

And if you're "heavily into music/media/gaming" you might want to go for the new and FAST Western Digital "Special Edition" Series of HDs (sold in 80gb, 100gb, and 120gb im pretty sure).

The Seagate 60Gb Barracuda ATA IV (2x) you picked out is VERY quiet, but why not get 2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda? heh, not too much more money!

As for motherboards, i haven't dealt with AMD systems as much as some other people in these forums, but you might want to take a look at the EPoX 8KHA+ motherboard.

: peace2: : peace2:
    __/\__
    \ oO / cHeEsY327
    /_ ~_\ _ _____________ __ _ _ _
    | \/
    | EPoX 4SDA+ Motherboard w/ Intel P4 2.0a @ 2.625GHz
    | SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 w/ Logitech Z560 4.1 Surround
    | 40GB Quantum Fireball Plus AS & 30GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60
    : Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW & Asus 50x CD-ROM
    : 768MB Corsair XMS3000 DDR333
    . PNY GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB
    Windows XP Pro