Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: newbie first time build (need your stamp of approval)

system to be used for web/print design no games i am a stuedent and this is my first after quite a bit of researching this is the final list. I want to get a really good system that will last for a while and be fast and smooth. this is a major purchase for me. any suggstions or advice on parts or the overall system.. fire away..

Maxtor D740X 60Gb IDE Hard Disk Drive Ultra ATA133
    Matrox Millennium G450 16Mb DDR Dual Head AGP Display Card:
    Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 2.0GHz Northwood & Fan CPU
    ENERMAX FS-710B, Black server case
    350w Enermax EG365P-VE ATX Power Supply
    Viewsonic E95 19" monitor hopefully black
    Gigabyte GA-8ITXE Socket 478 ATX Intel 850 Chipset
    512B RDRAM, PC800MHz, Kingston
    MS Optical IntelliMouse USB & PS/2 (OEM)
    IBM SELECT TOUCH KEYBOARD - Quiet 104 key black

should i possibly:

go with ASUS P4T-E mobo instead?

go with 1gb instead of 512mb for memory? :wave:

It's a personal choice on the motherboard issue. I'm not a big fan of Asus, and Gigabyte has been making one hell of a reputation for themselves of late.

On the memory, unless you're going to be running a server or using high-end photo/video editing tools, then 512MB of memory should suffice.

Video board - I would look at the Radeon models too and price them. Even though gaming might not be on your mind, the overall 3d quality is far superior on the ATi boards and you still get better 2d quality as well. The Matrox has been getting some pretty poor reviews, and when it's this widespread, there is normally a good reason for it.

Hard Drive - If you can pick up a Western Digital for about the same or less money, then get one of them instead. Neither of your motherboard choices don't support the ATA133 standard, so it's really kind of a waste. Intel is still selling the world on the SerialATA standard, so it's really unlikely that you will ever get support for this drive unless you spend even more money on an add-in ATA133 board.

I also notice that you don't have sound listed. Are you planning on going with an onboard option?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

Just one note about the video card. If you don't need any sort of 3D support, then I'd stick with the Matrox card you've got listed. However, there is always the chance that you will need 3D support for something, so like Darth said, take a look at the Radeon cards...

o.k i'll check out the ati radeon cards' is there any specific model or anything i should look for?

yeah well i realize now if i want to go for 1gb of kingston then its the gigabyte board ($$$) :( and if i want the asus i will have to deal with 512mb.

although 512 in reality is plenty i am thinking along the lines of the future... new version proggies and what not.. so hmmm?
    the system should run alot smoother with 1gb too right.. :)

i plan to turn off the onboard sound actually.. since i've heard it can slow system performance so maybe i'll get a better soundcard down the track... or maybe i should go for the next model up gigabyte :

http://www.giga-byte.com/products/8itxr.htm

which seems to have better sound & cover both my bases...? (if this sound is actually good that is)

oh boy more decisions...the more i learn the more complicated it gets...:(

as you metioned it would be a waste to get the maxtorwith ata133 when my mobo only supports 100..is there actually much of diff in speed? i was actually looking at the Seagate 60Gb ATA100 7200rpm today

hmmm Seagate or Western Digital

^ your right even over here they are all around the same price...

oh well just a little more confusion....:confused:

One of the computer rags I subscribe to did a test not too long ago looking for the "Sweet-Spot" in memory amounts. Unless you use CAD programs or something along the lines of Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, etc, then that sweet spot is 512MB. Anything else did not give enough added performance to justify the high price tag. And as for thinking of the future programs, well... by that time it is unlikely that we will still be using DDR/RDRAM type memory anyway.

Hard Drives - The Seagate will probably be a little faster than the WD, but will cost a bit more on average. Now if you want a killer drive, then take a look at the 100 and 120GB WD models that have that 8MB cache built in. They're currently about the fastest drives on the planet!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

If you do go with an ATi card - for superior 2D get a real ATi produced one - not a 3rd party produced card.

If money is no object an Radeon 8500 128Mb is the way to go...a Radeon8500LE 64MB will save a few $$'s (LE denote's lower core and memory clock's).
    If gaming/3D is really not an issue, a Radeon7500 would do the job - but it has no DX8 support.

Either way get the latest drivers - 6071's are good one's if you're running WinXP. The early drivers had some serious issues.

You sure the 7500 doesn't have DX8 support at all? Last time I checked, it did. Not necessarily the complete support, a la original Radeon, but it did have DX8 compatible hardware in one form or another.

Thread Information