Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Please review my build

Default Please review my build

Hello
    Back at building a new box, lots of gaming but a fair amount of creative-all the Adobe stuff and some light CAD. Already have a SyncMaster 275t so 1920X1200 is my native res.
    Here is what I'm thinking about now.
    Really torn between XP & Vista???
    Any and all comments, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Antec P182 -remove upper drive cage for more room
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-EXTREME
    Intel Q9550 Core2 Quad
    Sapphire or Diamond 4870 X2 -will add another in the future as prices fall
    CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    Creative X-fi Titanium
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1tb 7200 RPM, 32MB 2-one for os and apss the other for general storage
    LG or Liteon Bluray burner
    PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer Power Supply - Quad Crossfire Edition
    CPU cooler-efficient, quiet -Zalman
    Vista or XP ???

Here a link to this build on Newegg
    Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Default Re: Please review my build

Nothing strikes me as being wrong with the build, but I would probably opt for a power supply closer to the 1000w range since you already have plans of upgrading video in the future. PC Power & Cooling generally makes a nice PSU, but you are getting ready to thrash your system and your work with CAD software will make the graphics work harder than normal.

Also of note, since you are looking at 4GB of RAM, you are pretty much stuck with Vista. WinXP starts to choke when you go past 3GB even though the motherboard supports more (probably 16GB). They have done a fair job of knocking most of the bugs out of Vista, but you may still run into issues with older programs (which is why I still multi-boot with Vista, XP and Linux).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would also suggest 2x2GB instead of 4x1, it will be less strain on the NB and it will run witha quad much easier
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 02:03 PM.

One minor note: If you want to use all of the 4GB of ram properly you will also need a 64 bit version of XP or Vista. Vista is my preference but you may want to check program compatibility with older application program versions.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thread Information