Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Computer - Any alterations or recommendations

- Socket-A EPOX 8K3A+ VIA KT333 Chipset RAID ATA-133 6 Channel Sound DDR Support 6 PCI
    or
    - Soltek DRV 5
    - AMD ATHLON/PALOMINO XP1900 (1.6ghz) Socket A
    - DVD-CD-ROM IDE 16x DVD PIONEER Slot Load Model 106s OEM
    - SeaGate 60 gig 7200rpm Barracuda IV ATA-100
    - SeaGate 60 gig 7200rpm Barracuda IV ATA-100
    - DDR-DIMM 256meg NANYA DDR266 (PC2100)
    - DDR-DIMM 256meg NANYA DDR266 (PC2100)
    - GeForce4 MX440 LEADTEK 64meg DDR Ram Active cooling TV OUT Model A170-DDRT
    - Internal PCI 56.6/V90 DYNALINK
    - SoundBlaster AUDIGY D.E Retail box 24bit
    - LG*17" Model 775FT+ Flatron
    or
    - Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 730 17" Flat
    - Network Card A-Open AON-315 PCI 10/100
    - TV Tuner-Capture Card LIFEVIEW Fly3000 & Remote Stereo

this is the system that i've built mentaly, any recoomendations or alterations on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Beefy Guest

I'd take the EpoX board over the Soltek... LG screen over Mitsubishi...

Instead of getting a GF4MX and the TV Tuner card, have you considered getting a ViVo video card, such as an ATI All-In-Wonder or something along those lines?

i havent looked into combining the 2 cards much, but what i did find out was the cost came out to be cheaper to get sperate cards.

my preference is the LG but the distributer im wishing to get it from here doesnt stock them, and recommends the mits.

I would also go with the Epox as well [abit does a good job also (just a side note)] ...and why don't you just get one stick of 512 Ram? Might as well...leaves extra DIMM slots open for future ram upgrades. I bought my Audigy as OEM and works like charm and cost me 30 cheaper. Have you looked into the Ti4200 they have 64 DDR and 128 DDR and seem to be a good buy considering what it is and for the price. Where are you located at (country)?
    - Damien

Actually, if you kept the tuner card, you wouldn't have to buy an uber expensive decked out card everytime you wanted/needed a new video card. Unless you plan on filling up all the PCI slots, then having the separate TV tuner card would be a good idea.

The Epox is a pretty nice board (too bad mine died:() If you have a full-tower case, it is not very friendly with the IDE ports there--which is my main gripe about it.

Unless you have a board, like any nForce-based one, it's better to have 1 single stick of RAM so you have much more flexibility down the road.

2 x 256 is cheaper, and im happy going with that.

not to keen on getting the G4 ti440 due to the price increase.

i said the Ti4200 not the Ti4400..its alot cheaper.:) You actually save money buying two separate ones...hmm usually its the other way around. I made my GiG of Ram with two 512's but the reason why i bought it that way is beacuase i couldn't find any Gig Sticks from samsung (yes i know i'm hard headed) if not the stick would be mine.
    - Damien

Beefy Guest

Personally, I'd go with a gf3 or a gf4 ti4200 than the gf4mx... if you are buying new, then why not get something that is DX8 compatible?

G4 MX 440 = $215
    G4 Ti 420 64mg = $339

bit of a difference

Beefy Guest

can u get a gf3 then? I'd even prefer a ti200 over a gf4mx...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information