Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Full System Build

Lightbulb New Full System Build

Hello Everyone,
    I've been doing freelance motion graphics, design, photography and video for a years or so now, and I badly need to update my computer.

My old system
    • Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
    • Motherboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7125
    • Ram : 1.50GB DDR-200 PC3200U
    • Video Card : RADEON X300 Series
    • Power Supply : 450w RaidMax KY550ATX
    • I won't need new hard drives, I've already got like 5 (some SATA, usb 2.0, and PATA)

On my new system I'll be doing a lot of performance demanding stuff: Video editing (possibly HD), 3D rendering (C4d), Photoshop (high res), Photo editing (RAW). I'll also be doing some audio recording and editing. I run two monitors the all time. I won't be doing too much gaming, although it would be nice to get some stress relief from Unreal Tournament 3 now and then.

I've done a lot of research, looked at a lot of charts, and just about every option, so here's what I've got planned:

My New System

Total: $723

I'd like to stay somewhere in this price range, but I'm all about saving money so I'd love to
    get some opinions.

Notes: I won't ever be overclocking this system, nor will I ever run vista.

PS- If you look back though this forum I posted something similar to this about 8 months ago. A lot has changed since then and I never ended up buying the system I had planned :(

Default Re: New Full System Build

You may say this is off topic, but why no Vista? =0
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    You may say this is off topic, but why no Vista? =0
    Among other reasons, I don't see any reason to spend the money on an update. I have to use Vista all day at work (I'm on a contract at Microsoft) and it's fine, I Just don't need it at home. XP works fine for me.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

if you're not gonna OC you wont need an aftermarket cooler... and just so you know... that is a rather poor CPU unless you OC... its only real saving grace is the OC capability... you'll only utilise all 4 cores if you're encoding/decoding videos (so really only when you open and save them whilst editing), so you might find its either more beneficial to get a CPU with a higher stock clock (eg the C2D E8400) or to get a better cooler (eg Noctua NH-U12P, Tuniq Core Contact Freezer or the Artic Cooling Freezer 7) and OC like only that CPU can (you should be able to hit 3.5GHz without a problem)... other than that CPU thing, your builds lookin great... if you really dont want to OC, you can save on that mobo, but its great either way (supports pretty sweet FSBs from what i understand) and that RAM will serve you well...

so, overall its a good build, but i recommend you reconsider that statement about OCing... it'll benefit you immensely, especially with that CPU
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Thanks for the advice, I'm worried that Overclocking will just put more of a load on my system and cause more problems then it's worth. I honestly don't know too much about it, but from a business stand point, I need the computer to be stable and anything that decreases it's stability, I don't really want to do.

with the cooler you've got, the G0 revision of the q6600 (that you've got listed there) will OC to 3GHz (thats 25% more performance) without even thinking... just push the FSB up to the now standard 333MHz and you'll be rolling... it wont affect your stability at all at that level... its definitely worth it...you're getting as stock q9650 for about $400 less... how could you say no??? i know im doing a bit of a hard sell... but its really worth it... i've seen people take that processor up to 4.5GHz and be stable... really you should be able to get 3.6GHz out of it without too much trouble (just a bit of memory tweaking), but if you're adamant, its your choice
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Well that sounds pretty convincing. So if I ever did want to overclock, I'd have a pretty good build for it? (If I kept the after market cooler?)

Also, I think I'm gonna with this ram instead
    G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

yeah you've got among the best quad core rigs for OCing (without paying exorbitant sums)!

those DIMMs are pretty sweet... and again they'll OC incredibly... i've seen the Blackj Pis up to around 1100MHz with decent timings... but you'll have to loosen off the tRFC to get it there initially (if you do decide to OC)

Thread Information