Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Core i7 system build looking for improvements

Default Core i7 system build looking for improvements

I am configuring a Black Pearl Core i7 system on CyberPower. I Choose the black pearl edition for the 840 case. This is my first time buying a prebuilt system and i am trying to finalize my build. My budget is somewhat flexible

I have already purchased an Acer P243W 24inch monitor so i will be gaming at 1900x200. I Also have Logitech z-5500 5.1 speakers

My current build is as follows:

• CASE: CoolerMaster ATC™S 840 Black Pearl Full Tower Case (Black Color)
    • CPU: Intel® Core™2 i7-940 2.93 GHz 8M L3 Cache
    • MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio
    • MEMORY: (Req.DDR3 MainBoard) 3GB (1GBx3) DDR3/1800MHz Memory Module OCZ-Platinum
    • VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 PCI-Express Dual DVI-I & TVO (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
    • VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
    • VIDEO CARD 3: NONE
    • LCD Monitor: NONE
    • HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (150GB Gaming Western Digital Raptor 10, 000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD)
    • Data Hard Drive: 1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
    • Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc BR-5100S 2X Blu-Ray Player (Black Color)
    • Optical Drive 2: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    • SOUND: Creative Labs X-Fi 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

PSU: 1000 Watts Coolermaster

This comes out to $ 2,541 without peripherals or shipping.

I have the choice of the Asus P6T a eVGA x58 or an MSI x58 platinum. I am having trouble tellingthe pro's and cons of each. I would like having the option of going Nvidi or ATI in the future but it looks like they all have dual licenses. Which would be a better choice for this build?

I'm also unsure which Ram would best complement this build. Should i go for 1333 corsair or 1600,1800 OCZ?

Is this the best choice of soundcard? I dont want to pay extra for a fatality endorsed card however i want to use my logitech speakers to their fullest potential.

I opted for liquid cooling so should i also purchase extra case fans?

Any tips on adjusting the build or incompatible parts would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Core i7 system build looking for improvements

To be honest there are not a whole lot of people right now that can tell the answer to those questions. I had a chance to play around with the Asus P6T and Intel X58SO boards already and can tell you that the Asus is a much better board.

As for memory, go with what you can afford, the faster the better. With QPI memory changes will affect your real world performance.

Good choice to get the liquid cooling, these things get HOT.

Would liquid cooling kits be difficult to install for the first time builder?

Depends on the cooling system. There are some that are semi-enclosed systems that just need to be installed and they are relatively simple and straightforward. On the other hand, there are component kits that you build yourself that are not hard, but take some patience since it is always best to build the cooling solution, then let it run for a couple of days outside the system to double and triple check for leakage. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to get it working, but you don't want to get in a rush and a little research beforehand is a good idea.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

While I applaud your diligence in seeking advice on what to buy, I think that you should reconsider who you are buying your system from. I'm not sure that I would purchase a system from Cyberpower.

I've had some good results buying pre-built systems from Vigor. They have a good reputation and a good rating for customer satisfaction. You may want to go online and check out there I7 systems. They're good folks to call and get some of your system questions answered.

Just my 2 cents ....

Thread Information