Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hdd for storage

Not to mention the difference in time it takes to Defrag or do a thorough Scandisk. I know I'd rather spend half the time doin' it on a 7200rpm drive than the boringly long time a 5400rpm drive takes. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

i plug a new 40GB in my PC, BIOS cannot detect it, but win2k can detect it.
    what must i do?

If you are worried about heat, 7200RPM drives are designed to run without any sort of cooling (except IBM). If you have good airflow in your case, then you can run a 7200RPM drive without any cooling no worries, if you have no airflow, then invest in a HD cooler, they are cheap as.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    sentme_mail[/size]]
    i plug a new 40GB in my PC, BIOS cannot detect it, but win2k can detect it.
    what must i do?
    It maybe that your BIOS doesn't recognize drives larger than 32GB and an updated BIOS flash maybe needed.
    It could also be jumper configuration on the drives or how you have them hooked up to the IDE cable, master drive always at the end of the cable and the slave in the middle. :smokin:

the strange thing is that win2k is able to detect the HDD but not BIOS.
    if i don't update the BIOS and continue to use the HDD with Win2k will the be any problem?

I can't say that there would be any problem if 2k can see it and use it. As long as you don't plan to boot another OS off that drive just go ahead and see what happens. :smokin:

anybody knows whats the reason that BIOS cannot detect and win2k is still able to detect it?

Sometimes the BIOS won't see past the master drive due to an incompatability between drives or it could be that the BIOS has been setup to ignore detecting the secondary drive. To see if it's the last you just have to check the settings in the BIOS on drive detection. :smokin:

There you go, with the WD's there is a HUGE difference, gee better get that 5400RPM for the sake of not being retarted (according to someone clearly misinformed)
    Clearly mis-informed? He did say a 40 GB, but Lets look a bit closer at that price range.

My favorite drive seller has stopped selling 60 GB 5400's, but at the time I got mine, it was selling for 102$, and a 40 / 7200 was selling for 109$. Thats 20 GB.

The next best seller I would buy from has the 40 at $79, and the 60 at $92. So thats 13 bucks for another 20 GB, and my point was, if it is for STORAGE, it doesn't need to be fast often enough for you to take a very significant space cut.

Think of it like an attic. Would you rater have 150 feet of shelves, or 100 feet, with a big wide hall to speed you on your way to your Christmas decorations each year.

What kind of places are you buying from? here are quotes from several local stores:

Beecom:
    40GB Seagate 5400RPM - $140
    40GB Seagate 7200RPM - $150

Gamedude:
    Maxtor 40GB 5400RPM - $135
    Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM - $135
    Maxtor 60GB 5400RPM - $179

EYO:
    Seagate 40GB 7200RPM - $165
    Seagate 40GB 5400RPM - $162.80

So from just three retailers you can see that there is either extremely little or no price difference at all between 7200RPM and 5400RPM drives. As for having to take a significant storage cut to have the 7200RPM drive, well, the 40GB 7200RPM is 40 bux cheaper than the 60GB 5400RPM, so that does away with that argument too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information