Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Looking to upgrade (from a 6000+ to Core2)...

Question Looking to upgrade (from a 6000+ to Core2)...

Hi all.

Hope you all can offer some advice and inspiration here!

I've been rolling quite happily with AMD-based systems for some years now, but I'm now looking to move on to the Intel side again, just because of the success of the Core2 range, and the performance/price crown it has at the moment (so far as I can see).

Ok, so this is what I have at the moment:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ @ stock 3Ghz
    4GB (2x 2GB) OCZ Platinum PC6400/DDR2-800
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 Mobo
    Nvidia (Inno3D) Geforce 9600GT
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

I initially thought about overclocking the 6000+, and I could get it to near 3.5Ghz stable after lowering the memory clock and hypertransport, but to be honest the extra heat was ridiculous, so I would need to invest in a better cooler for it and probably better cooling for my whole case. I've currently got a big Akasa HSF which resembles it's stock cooler actually. It does the job at stock temps.

I'm looking to go to intel now, to try and really push a Core2Duo. I have my eye on the E8400 and have heard good things about this (about it getting to 4Ghz on air cooling etc). I want to keep the existing graphy and sound cards for now. I'm on a bit of a budget... if I said no more than 350 that would be about right. Just replacing the 'core' of the system really. Mobo, CPU, Memory (possibly) and hard drive (possibly).

I want to hold off on Core i7 for now, and I don't want to go the quad core route for various reasons. Just to summarize, I want some advice on what to get in the way of intel stuff. A decent overclocking combo of a mobo and Core2Duo would be right up my street. I haven't gone with Intel for quite some time, so i'm a bit behind the times :P What's the hot stuff these days? Any cheap(er) CPUs that can be clocked into 'high' territory etc?

Thanks. Looking forward to suggestions!

Default Re: Looking to upgrade (from a 6000+ to Core2)...

Unless you really just want to run with the DDR3, you should be able to easily get a good setup with just a motherboard and processor replacement. There are a lot of solid performing DDR2 boards out there (many have had a lot of luck with MSI and Asus boards) and the E8400 is an excellent processor. Graphics and sound will transfer without a problem, but am wondering why you want to get a new hard drive... unless you're just upgrading? If it is SATA then it will woprk fine in your new proposed system, but a fresh install will be a must. If it is IDE, it will still work with many newer mainboards, but a SATA would be a worthy upgrade.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Hi there. Many thanks for the prompt reply!

Yes, I think I will keep that RAM. Only just got it really anyway. Timings on it are ok for me. About the hard drive. I currently have a 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE (SATA-II), and it is a very good drive. Have two of them actually! Very quiet. However, I am looking to get a more beefy/higher density drive, for primarily more space, but by the same token get a little performance boost too. I hear these higher density drives are pretty good these days.

The processor seems like a definate now having read around various reviews and seeing your response here. Just need a decent cooler now if i'm to overclock that to near 4GHZ. I've set my sights on a Xigmatech cooler (only on ebay that I can find) and I hear good things about it. Any suggestions in the way of coolers?

Thanks again ;)

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Xigmatek is readily sold on several sites, but I tend to go for Newegg because they are reliable and have great pricing.

As for the hard drive, if yo uneed the extra storage, then that would be a different reason for upgrading. My recommendation would be to use a 250GB for the OS and some minor storage and then get a larger drive for your primary storage needs.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix89 View Post
    Hi there. Many thanks for the prompt reply!

Yes, I think I will keep that RAM. Only just got it really anyway. Timings on it are ok for me. About the hard drive. I currently have a 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE (SATA-II), and it is a very good drive. Have two of them actually! Very quiet. However, I am looking to get a more beefy/higher density drive, for primarily more space, but by the same token get a little performance boost too. I hear these higher density drives are pretty good these days.

The processor seems like a definate now having read around various reviews and seeing your response here. Just need a decent cooler now if i'm to overclock that to near 4GHZ. I've set my sights on a Xigmatech cooler (only on ebay that I can find) and I hear good things about it. Any suggestions in the way of coolers?

Thanks again ;)<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/qnap-intros-nmp1000-network-media-player-we-go-hands-on/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/qnap-intros-nmp1000-network-media-player-we-go-hands-on/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

The Xigmatech is a good cooler I don't see how you coulg go wrong with it.
    Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009 at 10:37 PM.

It's a no-go for me now. After looking into it further it won't rotate. It's going to blowing hot air into the already hot-air producing PSU. That's not preferable. I'd rather go for a slightly lower performing Artic Freezer64 Pro instead, and manually adjust the setup to exhaust air out towards the case fan. That may well mean sacrificing 2 of my 4 RAM slots in my mobo, but I can live with. I'm using 2X2G at the moment anyway, so they can be shifted to slots 3 and 4 closer to the front of the system. That is my thoughts anyway. It was either that, or one of the Zalmans, but that was a little more expensive that I wanted just for a cooler. I'm pressing it :P

Thread Information