Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which vid card should I buy?

Default Which vid card should I buy?

I'm essentially completely lacking in computer knowledge, I really don't know much. I can understand the basics and look things up, but beyond that I'm really not sure. I just picked up a new comp, Lenovo IdeaCentre K230, and I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card for gaming. Looking to spend about 200 bucks, give or take, but I really have no idea which to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Default Re: Which vid card should I buy?

Assuming you are living in the US, you can pick up an HD4870 for around 200$ or maybe less.

But you gotta remember that brand name PC's will have limited power supplies so you may be limited on wat u can get.

Post up the specs of ur power supply.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

I just did a quick search and for the life of me couldn't find any info on whether the mobo has 16x pci-e or not. That plays a big role in determining your graphics card selection.
    GA EP45C-UD3R(F5f)/Q6600(GO)@400X9=3.6/8gig Patriot PC8500/Gigabyte 3D Aurora Tower/CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 650w PSU/Cooler Master Hyper Z600R CPU Heatsink/HIS 5770/1T Maxtor Sata300,500G WD Sata300

How can I check the specs of my power supply?

and how can I check if I have a PCI-E or not? Haha.

Alright, I have a PCI and a PCI-E connector, and my PSU is 280 Watts Max and at +12 its 18A. I figure I'll need a new PSU and I have a better budget than originally expected so a PSU+Vid Card combo reccomendations for my comp would be very useful. I'm thinking to spend about 300 bucks total.

If it helps I have 6gbs of DDR2 RAM, and an Intel Pentium E5200 Dual-Core Processor.

Another thing you need to check for is space. Make sure you have enough room for both. Here's where I do my shopping: Newegg.com - PC Components, Computer Parts, Computer Hardware & PC Accessories On the left you will see a list of all the components they sell. Have a little fun and do a little research. For PSU I wouldn't go below 500W 20A on the 12v rail. Pick a name brand. Read the reviews. Make sure it has more positive than negative reviews. I usually only read a couple 5 star reviews and all the 3 and below. I look for comments like, " died in a week", "only lasted a month". Newegg is great in the way they break down the reviews by % and whatnot. Anyway, go ahead and pick a few items and post them here to get opinions. Good luck!!
    GA EP45C-UD3R(F5f)/Q6600(GO)@400X9=3.6/8gig Patriot PC8500/Gigabyte 3D Aurora Tower/CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 650w PSU/Cooler Master Hyper Z600R CPU Heatsink/HIS 5770/1T Maxtor Sata300,500G WD Sata300

Excellent suggestion, that's exactly how you can search newegg.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarno View Post
    Another thing you need to check for is space. Make sure you have enough room for both. Here's where I do my shopping: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.newegg.com/Store/Computer.aspx?name=Computer-Hardware" target="_blank">Newegg.com - PC Components, Computer Parts, Computer Hardware &amp; PC Accessories</a> On the left you will see a list of all the components they sell. Have a little fun and do a little research. For PSU I wouldn't go below 500W 20A on the 12v rail. Pick a name brand. Read the reviews. Make sure it has more positive than negative reviews. I usually only read a couple 5 star reviews and all the 3 and below. I look for comments like, " died in a week", "only lasted a month". Newegg is great in the way they break down the reviews by % and whatnot. Anyway, go ahead and pick a few items and post them here to get opinions. Good luck!!<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/apple%e2%80%99s-new-ipod-shuffle/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/apple%e2%80%99s-new-ipod-shuffle/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
    <br />
    <br />

Quote Originally Posted by jcarno View Post
    Another thing you need to check for is space. Make sure you have enough room for both. Here's where I do my shopping: Newegg.com - PC Components, Computer Parts, Computer Hardware & PC Accessories On the left you will see a list of all the components they sell. Have a little fun and do a little research. For PSU I wouldn't go below 500W 20A on the 12v rail. Pick a name brand. Read the reviews. Make sure it has more positive than negative reviews. I usually only read a couple 5 star reviews and all the 3 and below. I look for comments like, " died in a week", "only lasted a month". Newegg is great in the way they break down the reviews by % and whatnot. Anyway, go ahead and pick a few items and post them here to get opinions. Good luck!! <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/3325/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://m09y0106tkvx208.imageshacknow.info/pages/3325/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
    I've used newegg a few times and they've been great.

It is true however that they have their 8 dead pixel policy on monitors but nonetheless they're alright.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite View Post
    I've used newegg a few times and they've been great.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/2g-ipod-touch-finally-jailbroken/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/2g-ipod-touch-finally-jailbroken/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Thread Information