Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Do I need a new PS?

Default Do I need a new PS?

I'm upgrading from the current system:

ASUS A8V-XE
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    PowerColor Radeon X800 GTO 128MB
    HP DVD burner
    Seagate 250 GB SATA HD
    secondary WD IDE HD (not staying with this system)

all powered by a 450 watt Micro LC-8460BTX

Unfortunately I will not be able to do *all* the upgrades I would like all at once. I am looking at:

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
    AMD X4 940

To replace the mobo/CPU/video from the current system. I will use the mobo onboard video for now, because as sad as that is, it's better than my current video.

The existing mobo/CPU and secondary HD will be moving to another box I have lying around, for my son to use.

My question is: will my existing 450-watt PS power the new mobo and CPU?

Yes, I understand that it would be desirable to get a new PS, and in fact I may need one anyway if I have to move the current PS to power my son's system. However, I am out of work right now and not in a position to spend $ on this upgrade (a friend would actually be paying for it, long story, but I have to keep his $ as low as I can).

I understand that when I get a new video card, add drives, or basically anything else that requires power, I'll need a new PS. My question is, for now, will my current 450-watt PS be sufficient?

I have searched for a site that would help me size a power supply and have had no luck. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Do I need a new PS?

Actually I was able to find a site that helped me size my power supply. Looks like I'll be fine for now.

Thread Information