Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New System build, which OS should i use.

Default New System build, which OS should i use.

I just buit an i7 system with 6gb ram, Crossfire 4870 video cards.

I have 32 bit XP which i could install

OR

Default Re: New System build, which OS should i use.

let me try again...

i have the 32 bit version of xp which i could install, then buy windows 7 when it is available OR Buy an OEM vesion of Vista home premium 64 bit. Would there be a big performace difference from XP 52 bit versus Vista 64 bit as far as gaming is concerned? i know that with the 32 bit i would not be able to take full advantage of teh 6 gb of RAM.
    Mike

If you want any OS support from Microsoft, then go Vista over XP. Windows 7 is looking promising, though. Regardless, make sure to get a 64-bit OS because of the amount of memory you have installed.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

thanks, i decided to purchase vista 64 home premium.

Keep in mind that many programs do not have support for 64-bit. It would be advisable to stick with 32-bit until that issue is resolved.

I'm curious as to what programs you have that don't work with 64 bit? So far (in a year and a half or so of using Vista 64) I've run into one older game that didn't like 64 bit.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

... a few days later and no responce.... hmm. Reality is that Vista 64 did not have great driver support when it was originally released but that really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. Most modern hardware should have no problem using a 64 bit O/S these days. As far as program support goes: it is mainly a non issue since nearly all programs work just fine. There are not really that many programs that are truely optimized for 64 bit computing but that will change as time passes.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I have VISTA 64 and the only issue I have had is it doesn't' support the drivers for that my 12 year old speakers need... oh well. As for program support, pretty much VISTA 64 can handle all of them. For older programs, non-64bit, it installs them in the directory Programs x86. For newer software, it puts them in Programs folder. Some software, iTunes for instance, won't allow you to install it; rather, it asks you to download the 64 bit version instead.

As for games, all of mine run fine... I haven't had to tell Vista to run any of them in XP mode.

Enjoy VISTA until 7 comes out.. by the way, I read somewhere that the change over from Vista to 7 is relatively painless...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Yeah, Windows 7 is being hailed as Vista Service pack 2... It is a simple upgrade from Vista 64 to 7 64 as with 32bit OS. XP to 7 is a complete format and reinstall... The RC1 version of 7 is being released (officially) today so might be a good chance to see how it runs!
    M/B: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.3 BIOS v.F8d)
    Case: Enermax Chakra Case
    PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W PSU
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
    Fan: Gigabyte Pro II 120mm CPU Cooler
    RAM: Adata 4 x 2GB DDR-1066+ XPG Extreme
    Graphics: Gigabyte GTX470
    DVD: LG BD
    HDD: OS 500G Segate SATA3 + 2 x 1TB
    Mon: Sony Bravia 42" LCD TV

I definitely think you will enjoy the windows 7 user experience. While it's true that the code base is mostly consistent with vista, it has been heavily tweaked so components like Aero work much more smoothly.
    "Good things come to those who wait."
    I'd give 7 (64-bit) a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information