Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New System...

Static Electricity kills pc's. Thats what my A+ cert book says.

Morgan: One question though if you keep one hand on the PSU how do you manage to do everything with 1 hand? Lot's of practice???

Zeradul: Hey i'm getting this CD-RW CDRW 40X12X48|LITE ON LTR40125 RTL. A friend said it comes with IDE cables, Unfortunatly i wasnt able to confirm that info. Can ya help me?

I've never used a wrist strap myself but all PC work takes place on the kitchen bench where I just grab the metal plumbing now and again to discharge any static that I may pickup but wearing sensible clothing and footware will stop static build up anyway (no synthetics). :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

o cool but eh 11 bucks its not that bad, looks like i'm set bought my computer my folks are buying me a printer now all i need is a good 19" monitor. Printer wise HP IMO has had good products over the years but i want a change, Lexmark any good? For the monitor I was loking at a Sony CRT, links:
    HMD-A400/L
    and
    G420S

Sony monitors are good so long as you can ignore the two shadow lines made by the two damper wires (A lot of ppl can't ignore them). As for printers Canons are now the best available according to the reviews, and my personal opinion as well, for print quality and speed. Lexmarks are very noisey and slow (I own one of these as well). :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

The advantages of lexmarks is that they talk to you
    The dis-advantage is the head dryup if not in frequent use:mad:
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

I just stick a pair of tweezers in the ground of the electrical socket and touch it before grabbing any components.
    As I understand it, a lot of failures due to static discharge happen over time, rather than 1 huge zap:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I had a friend who was connecting a CAT5 cable to his Linksys router, and one static shock from his finger to the metal edge of the plug socket and ever since that port on the Router hasn't worked. He is lucky the one that went bad was not a cruicial one, but just one of the 'hub' connections.

static definitely kills, i killed a 21" sony monitor by grabbing the monitor data lead, static shock from my hand to some of the pins on that connector and after that the monitor was dead, the whole thing, dead!

RMA'd it no worries, but ever since then i always use them little plastic condoms on data connectors mainly on expensive things (like my own monitor and game theatre)

I'll have to read an A+ book, coz 2 guys i know that have done it, are also paranoid about static, it must say some mega evil stuff about static in there, but yeah, u r right Mr C, most static-caused failures don't happen straight away

PC store i used to work in started using anti-static gear at all times, and since then their failure rate on ram has halved and cpu's its non-existent (cept fools like me who try to kill the things :devil: )
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Beefy Guest

only thing i've killed with static was a NIC in a PC I was moving to a different room.. left the network cable plugged in, which dragged on the carpet and fried the card.. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information