Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need to build ultra cheap non-gaming PC (already have memory, monitor and XP Pro)

Question Need to build ultra cheap non-gaming PC (already have memory, monitor and XP Pro)

Primary goal:

Build a non-gaming PC that will last years for a friend that just got laid off, and all for around $200. Am willing to pay a little more if it's absolutely necessary. But obviously want to keep the price as low as possible.

Primary uses:

Microsoft Office (Outlook, Access, Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
    Net Browsing
    YouTube
    Yahoo Games and other flash games

-Would like ability to upgrade easily in future (1 to 2 years later), such as more memory, CPU or a gaming GPU.
    -Does not need a ton of storage.
    -Already have monitor, CDRW, XP Pro and 1gb of PC667 DDR2.

So I basically need:

Mobo (that uses DDR2)
    CPU
    HDD
    PSU
    GPU (unless the onboard is good enough)
    Case

All this for around $200.

Thanks in advance for help.

Default Re: Need to build ultra cheap non-gaming PC (already have memory, monitor and XP Pro)

I would recommend building an AMD system then.
    One thing, can he reuse the case he has? If so, then that saves ~$30....
    AsRock MoBo $54
    2.7GHz Athlon 64 X2 $60
    Rosewill MicroAtx Case $28
    with a place for a front mount 120mm fan for future
    Power supply is going to be iffy, you get what you pay for here, for sure.
    Thermaltake 430W PSU $36

If he doesn't game, why a GPU?
    Sapphire 2400 ATI $33

At $200 budget, there isn't a lot of room for Future-proofing. This system is a dual core CPU with a decent GPU that can more than handle Flash gaming and is DX10 compatable.

I thought I could come up with a parts list for you, but now I don't think I can. Notice that there is no HDD on the list....

If he reused his HDD and Case then you could get this rig running for around $185, not counting shipping. Also, these are all Retail parts. You might be able to find things at Ebay or some place like that... heck, you might be able to find a used system for sale around that price.

Anyway, Good Luck to you, mostly though GOOD LUCK TO YOU FRIEND. I hope he finds some work soon... being laid off is the sux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Thread Information