Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: TV vs. Monitor

Default TV vs. Monitor

Hey, all.

This is actually for a friend, but he can't ask lol as he is building or in the process of building a computer, his old one died.

He was thinking of a 30inch monitor, he has a 295, only thing that didn't dry in his old machine oops lol. Again, he was looking at a 30inch or a TV 32/37 inch Sammy or LG.

I was wondering what everyone/anyone thought would be better. It's mostly for gaming, he does some video encoding stuff etc but not that much that he needs H-IPS etc.. and all the photo realistic and accurate colors.

But he'd like a large screen. Some model TVs have issues with computer based scaling and stuff is stretched and fitted obscurely so personally I said he might be better off with the monitor. But was wondering what you all thought.

Oh, he has a ps3 so he'll play some games on that and use that for blu-rays. He was thinking a Plasma TV too but for whatever reason thinks that may be a no go and was wondering if a 120Hz/240Hz TV would make a difference.

The TV I currently use is a 120Hz set, I notice some lag and that but since I'm not a hardcore gamer, more or less casual play a few MMOs and some FPS/RPG's now and then it didn't matter to me. So I myself never researched fully the issues with the 120/240Hz sets and gaming/using as a monitor.

Mine is only temporary but I may use it indefinitely it works fine so far so... I have heard some of the 120/240Hz processing on TVs is not so much gimmicky but for lack of a better word, it just doesn't work well with games especially FPS games and causes some lag and ghosting due to how LCD pixels generate the images etc. So he was told either get a plasma as that doesn't effect them much or get a 60Hz HDTV as you won't get the big lag/ghosting issues from the 120/240 processing. This part I'm just reiterating what he told me he was told. I personally never researched that so I wouldn't know too much on this matter so figured I'd stop here and see if anyone has any input advice so I can report back to him what would be best for him.

So thanks in advance for any input you may all offer.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    PC Power & Cooling 1200 watter
    30inch H-IPS for work and 27inch HP for games
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    12GB DDR3 Corsair RAM @ 1866 now
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    128GB SSD x2 RAID<-- OS and apps
    2x300GB Raptor, scratch/work drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    Denon and Boston Acoustics sound system
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970
    Win 7 Ultimate x64; dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 x64

Default Re: TV vs. Monitor

I personally think computer monitors are better for a computer especially for web browsing since its hard on the eyes otherwise. I'd stay away from a Plasma TV as I've heard they can get monitor burn in fairly easy. Don't know but maybe the new LED sets might be decent.

P.S. I just hooked up a PC up to a 1080p projector in my Shop and I admit it looked good covering almost a whole wall of a 4 stall shop but again a good computer monitor would be my first choice, then have a BIG screen for a second option. Again I don't think I'd web browse much on it except to play some funny You-tube videos or something similar to that at a party on it but for video games they don't get any bigger with a nice projector, its a whole new experience...

Hmm, a projector wouldn't really work for his case lol.

I heard, but not sure, the image retention, burn in problems of Plasma's is pretty much non existent now.

But I still recommended a good monitor more but he'd definitely get larger with a TV lol. Guess I can change my signature, for now I'm using a 24inch a friend gave me when he got his new one, was using the TV it was okay but I don't know if all TVs will do it fine or only some work out.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

I've also heard the newer Plasma's are better than they use to be but I have a 14 year old that will leave the PC or Xbox 360 on for hours at a time while he's away. I hate that.... Not sure if a Plazma will take that but I am sure an LCD screen will take it, hes proved that on at least 4 or 5 sets now. Playing on that 150in projector screen is really the big hit around here though lol. You need a huge room!!!

Yeah, lol.

I'm not sure totally on the Plasma's myself but like I said supposedly they're better and that doesn't really effect them anymore.

Yeah, a front projector won't work for him since this will go in his room and his room is only like 14x18 or so not that large. That's why I figured just go with the monitor; 30 inch or a 32inch TV if he wanted that but not sure about them. It may be hit or miss but I'm not sure if all TVs will work well being used as monitors or if specific ones will and he can't really try and we know a monitor, computer monitor, WILL work fine lol so..... but he kinda liked the idea of a TV I guess looking at 37 inch ones too for a bigger screen.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

Try Googling websites like this How To Use Your TV as a Computer Monitor | How To Do Things.com.

If your worried about fitting the picture on the screen its not a problem using Nvidia's video card software. Not sure about ATI but I'm sure you can resize the screen with that also. Remember new TV screens in the US (maybe everywhere else) are not quite the same dimensions as a computer monitor so Windows desktop needs a little adjusting.
    Again web searching is best on a nice PC monitor. The fine print looks OK on a TV monitor but is less eye straining on a monitor atleast what I've seen so far. A nice monitor is worth the extra cash if he's got it.

Well his range was around 1000-1200. As I said, he was looking at the 30inch monitors.

But just kinda liked the idea of using a 37inch HDTV as one for a bigger screen but if you ask me 30 is pretty big lol. It's relative to how far you sit back.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage