Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Video---Just don't see it...

Default Video---Just don't see it...

I am finishing my new system. It has room for two cards. I use the computer for WoW and Flight Simulator (exciting eh?). Have come to a cross-roads. There are three (and only three) choices.
    1. Keep my Sapphire HD 4850 Vapor-X 1GB GDDR3 256-bit card.
    2. Add a second HD 4850 Vapor-X card in Crossfire.
    3. Dump the 4850(s) and get a single Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X 1GB GDDR5 512-bit card.

Here are the rules.
    There are no substitutions on the cards. Well just one...the Sapphire HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB GDDR5 256-bit card can substitute for the 4890.

Why would I want to do 1 or 2 or 3? And which one would YOU do?

Though I've worked in mostly mainframe computers for over 25 years, I've built my own home rigs for 20 yrs. What do I get by having any one of the above setups? And before you say it...yes these cards are already obsolete, but they're also now within my budget. I get 90% of what goes into the computer except the finer points of video. Flight Sim has a lot of texture processing to do, but it is nothing like any of what you think of as "normal" computer games. And I'm sure you know the requirements for WoW.

Grateful for any and all thoughts and recommendations
    Last edited by OldGeek; 12-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Video---Just don't see it...

I just reviewed the Sapphire 4890 OC Edition1GB Vapor-X, link is in my signature. Maybe some of my benchmarks could help you decide?

I really couldn't say because IU have no clue how one or tow 4850's score.

I agree with you though, there is NO Substitute for Sapphire cards!

Help me decide? There are so many choices no...just think about CPU coolers. There must be 1,000.

So you have a smashing review, but put it into context for me. Psycho101 seems to say that a CrossFire 4850 pair is good enough as to not make the expense of the 4890 worth it.

I think Newegg has the card you reviewed at $215. Another 4850 would be $130. Hmm.

Have we arrived at diminishing return for the applications we throw at these cards? How much more in the real world is a ATI 5XXX series card going to give me?

As I sit on an uncomfortable fence, the double 4850 looks like a "reasonable" purchase. My gaming will never go beyond what I've mentioned. Have used Flight Sim since its introduction and WoW I started 3 years ago. My goal is to have a butter smooth flight in flight simulator with EVERY feature turned on and/or turned up to the max. Since Microsoft abandoned Flight Simulator, my needs seem to end here for a good long while.

All this from He who left the Intel dark side (without regret I might add).

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm, well I do see what you mean with the second 4850.

I have not used 5xxx cards, but I do know the ones you really want are way overpriced right now and often not in stock anyway. I am sure they are good, but I would still stay away from the cheaper 5xxx series models and wait for the normal ones to be a bit cheaper if you want to go that route

I think you may be fine in getting a second 4850, it would definitely be better than one of course. I am not sure if that would be better than a single 4890, but it likely would be. Do you get at least half of the scores I did with 4890, with your 4850? If so then two of them would likely be as good or better.

Thread Information