Hi there, I'm new to the forums and PC building. I'm a professional audio editor and am interested in building a new PC for dialogue editing and audio mastering. I primarily use Cool Edit Pro, Adobe Audition 3 and ProTools LE.I'm going to be building this system with a mind to run Windows XP Pro. I've tried running Cool edit on Windows 7, and while it works for the most part there are a few dealbreaker bugs. Windows 7 Professional XP mode might help that but I haven't tested it as yet. Anyhow, I don't do much gaming. My current system has a Raedon x600 with 256 or something and runs GTA San Andreas fine for my purposes on the rare occasion I have time for that kind of stuff. Occasionally, I edit and mix sound for movies on ProTools and need to watch Quicktime in sync with the sound.

I'd like to accomplish a lot of speed with processing compression and noise reduction scripts and I'd like to be able to, for example edit on cool edit, process on adobe audition and burn a cd at the same time without error or lag. I have no idea if that is possible.

Important to me is my ECHO Gina PCI card and breakout box which I use for my headphones and monitors.

Extremely important to me is a quiet PC.

Here are my two build ideas:

i7 920 Build:

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 -

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard -

OCZ Gold 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

(I really like the idea of USB 3.0 and ultra fast SATA drives in the future.

i7 860 Build:

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

(Is this a better bet over 1366 socket due to stability?)

For both systems, I chose the following:

A supposedly quiet case

Antec P183

monitor

SAMSUNG TOC T260HD Rose Black 25.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor

Quiet power supply

Nexus RX-6300 630W ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Boot drive for XP, Editing suite, Current workload(.wav files)
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2R5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

Storage Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives -Bare Drive

Silence

CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - Retail

Silence

ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Fun

LG Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 8X Blu-ray Burner

I plan to use a mouse and keyboard that I already have and add a Plextor DVD burner that I already use for mastering.

Obviously missing here is a case fan. Keep in mind I want to go as silent as possible here. I'm open to any suggestions but just haven't been able to wrap my mind around the concept of what would work best with the case I've chosen, etc.

I'm open to any type of smackdown or encouragement here. I chose the PSU based on quiet reviews and the h50 based on quiet as well. I'm interested in any thoughts on my RAM choices. I did not go with Corsair Dominator because they come with fans and I don't want to extra noise if it's there.

I'll probably line the case with some sort of acoustic material.

Thank you so much in advance for any replies and sorry if I left something out that I should have said. :D