Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is buying RAM too much????

Well i can say this much on Win98/98SE/ or ME I've never been able to get a box to boot into windows with more than 768MB. And these machines have rarely been stable with more than 512 MB.

The NT Based kernels of WinNT/2K/ & XP seem fine with up to 2GB. I've seen some multiprocessor NT & 2K servers with over 4GB RAM on special motherboards [not off the shelf OEm stuff].

Im sure if registered modules were being used then it would be perfectly stable, but usually when you populate all DIMM slots with unbuffered then it will be unstable.

I had vast improvement under Win XP when I went from 256 to 512 of RDRAM but no perceptible difference when I went from 512 to 1024.

Just a note , when I talked about increase in speed I meant pure WinXP speed. This added-memory-increased-XP-speed will not always transfer to games or 3d benchmarks.

Andy

if only ram prices would drop back down to what they were in early spring....:cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Ehhe Yebeb
    Im sure if registered modules were being used then it would be perfectly stable, but usually when you populate all DIMM slots with unbuffered then it will be unstable.
    A lot of the modern motherboards coming out specifically state that they will not work well with registered DIMMs.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Alot of them also state that if populating all DIMM slots that they recommend use of registered DIMMS (eg: Abit)

It also depends on how much RAM total you're putting in. Some boards, depending on the chipset and mobo company need the registered stuff, and some don't. I haven't really seen many boards that require registered RAM to populate all the memory slots (exception: AMD760 and it's SMP variants). I've seen it be more of a requirement if you want to use X amount of RAM or more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information