Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewire

I wuz wondering if it is worth buying a Firewire card? I dunno if I really need one but is there anything coming out that I might need a firewire card for? Thnx for the info :shoot3: :shoot2:

Beefy Guest

Moving thread first of all.. :D

If you don't think you need a Firewire card, or you aren't sure, then you don't. It's that simple.

But if ya think that ya may there are also cards that will give you 3 USB 2.0 ports and 2 firewire ports. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

That pretty much sums it up nicely. <--- To Beefy's comment. Wiggo snuck in on me *again* :)

It really only makes sense to get something along these lines if you're into digital video. There aren't that many peripherals that make use of Firewire and that probably won't change anytime in the future. With USB 2.0 and SerialATA both getting ready to duke it out, Firewire is really a moot issue.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

there are some firewire internet cams... but then again, you can get them in a usb2.0 flavour as well, and the "stream speed" would be the same...

Yeah... that falls into that "Digital Video" category I was noting. It's about the only thing out there that really took hold of the Firewire technology. It's a good thing, but there are just too many choices and other peripheral makers took another route. If motherboard manufacturers would have adopted Firewire more, then it probably would be the standard.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

There's also a few other things that may be worth noting... External storage and external CD-RW drives. But again, you can already get them in different flavours (USB / USB 2.0) that it's not worth buying a card for them.

However, all that being said, if you wanted to have Firewire for the sake of having it (even though you'll probably never use it) then I'd suggest getting a SB Audigy instead. You get a very good sounds card with a Firewire port. Much better than a card that will hardly be used.

Even one of the GeForce4 Ti 4600's come with a firewire card. I use mine with my vidcam.

Or you could just grab a new case, that would also have a firewire port as well as a couple of USB's although taht probably isnt good pricewise.

Beefy Guest

How is grabbing a new case going to help? You might have the ports on the outside (maybe) but you still won't have anywhere to connect them on the inside...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information