Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which part should I upgrade first? within limited budget..

Default Which part should I upgrade first? within limited budget..

DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 1900 MHz (9.5 x 200) 3600+
    Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 v1
    Kingston (512 MB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)*2
    NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT
    Hitachi HDT725025VLA380 7200RPM

The above is my current system. When I play WOW or use photoshop, it always can't run smoothly.
    And I also hope to improve the long boot up time... It really wastes my life.
    Can anyone suggest an upgrade solution within US$100? I know it's hard but that's what I can afford. thanks!

Default Re: Which part should I upgrade first? within limited budget..

Your best bet is going to be the RAM or the graphics card...

U'll have to keep in mind that ur system is really old, so theres really no point upgrading anything for now.

For the graphics, probably an HD5670 will do u well.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Thanks for your advice. That graphic card looks great in its performance and price. I believe that will be helpful when playing game or photo editing. But if I also want to upgrade my computer's boot up, is there any suggestion? How about RAM or HD?

For boot time improvement more ram would probably help. if you are using an older Windows install then the best way to improve boot times is usualy to shut down all the extra stuff that wants to start with Windows : adobe, quicktime, msn messenger, photo programs, sharing programs, etc, etc. . Most of those programs can be started just fine manually when needed.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree, memory or GFX if all you have is $100. Both would help with photoshop

Definently your RAM...512MB is not enough to run anything efficiently. Then for your boot time, there is an advanced option in MSCONFIG to make the system actually use both processors and all the memory that you have to boot up faster. But no worries on the Video Card. Go memory, that helps your OVERALL performance... 4GB at the least and since you are using a 32-bit OS I presume, then that works perfectly... OS will recognize 3.5 and send the other .5 to video. Plus, you could technically buy a video card and memory...look at TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics or Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! they have some great deals right now. Make a wise purchase and for 100 bucks you may be able to land both with some free shipping...SWEET! Let us know how you do...if you need help with that tweak, PM me or post it and we'll get ya rolling! Have fun!!!!!
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower
    Acer X223W 22" widescreen

nVidia nForce 7150-630i mobo
    Intel Quad Core Q6700 OC'd 3.13Ghz
    4096MB ddr-800
    200GB hdd 7200 sata
    160GB hdd 7200 sata II
    320GB hdd 5400 ide (?)
    320GB ext. hdd Transcend
    MSI dvd rw / lightscribe / sata
    BFG GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 1.0