Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD vs. Intel ...part 2

Doesn't the question of processor bang for the buck have to include the possibilities of upgrading the processor without changing motherboard and RAM? Since the P4 2.26 533fsb is part of a new line, it seems you could upgrade just the processor for some time to come, continue to use the mobo and RAMBUS for some time to come, and make a fast system faster with just a processor change. Am I missing something in this argument? Won't you have to change mobo or RAM for the screaming Athlon when it comes out? Finally, the numbers I've seen on the 533fsb with 850e chipset seem to blow away the Athlon. Again, I'm very new to this, but how can I learn without asking dumb questions?
    :)

All's in focus again...AthlonXP it is..with a nice little MSI KT4 Ultra mobo next week....

Paradox. Thats not the case at all. Im pretty sure the P4 tops out at 3GHZ because the architecture cant take it any higher than that with DDR or 16Bit Rambus. The new chip is not going to have 478 pins either, which means 3GHZ is the fastest chip you will be able to put in your P4 mobo. AMD on the other hand, socket A (462) has been around for agesm athlon Tbirds, Durons, Athlon palomino's, Athlon TBreds, and Athlon Bartons are all using/going to use socket A. And since the barton is probably set to top off around the 3400+ mark that would make for upgrading a processor alot easier. I can upgrade from my athlon XP 1700+ to a Barton 3000+ or thereabouts when they are out, and all i will probably need is a BIOS flash.

exactly... Ehhe Yebeb

not to mention that, in my case, the P4 cpu is more than twice the price of the AthlonXP cpu...granted a speed difference is there...i could get the AtholnXP 1800+ now (for the price), and then upgrade to a 3000+ or higher in 6-12 months from now...and be able to use the 333fsb that the future AthlonXP's will have, thanks to the KT400 chipset on the MSI KT4 Ultra mobo.
    that'll also buy me the time for all (most of) the bugs to be worked out of the Hammers.

Some KT333 boards would also be able to take 333mhz FSB chips i hear. You would have to manually adjust the FSB to 166, but since on some KT333 boards, the PCI and AGP clocks reset at 166 (Epox 8K3A) it means you can run a 333mhz chip without putting the AGP and PCI out of spec.

Just remember that this time next year these AMD's and socket A will be the replacement for the Duron range and "Clawhammer" will be the thing to have. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yea, and by then, throw in a NV30, S-ATA and you'll have a not expensive combo capable of absolutely raping anything and Everything avaliable now, and not just by a little bit. So don't spend too much now, or you'll be kickin yourself very soon.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

but i can't wait, nor would i buy the first hammers out...for price and possible bugs / compatibilty..

I didn't say wait, I just said don't spend alot.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

gotcha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information