Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ddr1 ram drive pci/pcie card

Default ddr1 ram drive pci/pcie card

I have two 512mb ddr1 modules that don't get much use and I'd like to know if there's a cheap pci/pcie card that would act as a hdd with them in it. Persistence is not needed on this ramdrive, as I would use it strictly for the swap partition and/or temp folders. This setup would provide a very nice speed increase and I have to say I'm quite surprised that something like it isn't more widespread, especially considering how cheap 1-2gb of ram is (was). Besides the obvious speed advantage, you'd also eliminate a big source of hdd fragmentation and increase privacy/security since the swap file and temp folders would all completely vanish on power off. Usually the problem with ram hdds is keeping data safe on power off, but since there's no need for it in this case, the card could be much more basic. Is there anything like it on the market? I was only able to find some high end, pricey products that offer unnecessary features, but nothing cheap & simple like I would need.

Default Re: ddr1 ram drive pci/pcie card

Well, in theory, yes.

However, simply increasing your RAM (in a 64bit OS) to 8GB should alleviate the need for a page file. I'm not suggesting that you disable it. There are various opinions about whether the page file should be enabled or disabled. Even if it is enabled, and you have lots of RAM, the page file will not be used very much.

of course, but that would mean buying more ddr3 ram, while i'd like to put to use the older ram sticks i already have & can't use, thus getting by cheaper. btw a fast temporary partition has more use than just the swap file. i already use a software ramdrive and route all kind of temp folders on it (browsers' caches, unzipping, sandbox, etc) and while i'm very happy with this setup, it's obviously a compromise since i have to sacrifice some of the system ram for it. that's why i was looking for a dedicated pci/pcie card that would replace this software ramdrive, thus letting the os & apps use all the system ram, while i'd still have a fast "temporary hdd" for all the crap that doesn't need storing once the power is turned off.

Well, you're looking to buy a device simply to put that old RAM to use. Even if you found a device that did what you're describing, the money would be much better spent on DDR3 RAM and/or a SSD, in particular a SandForce-based drive with good 4K IOPS. Any device you manage to find probably connects via SATA anyway, so even though the old RAM has a higher potential bandwidth than a good SSD, in practice the SSD will be at least as fast and give you much more space to work with.

Thread Information