Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What brand memory?

Well now that the P4 prices have dropped today I'm thinking of replacing this crappy P3 finally.
    I was just wondering what brand of memory is good for possible just minor overclocking.....nothing extreme.

I saw some 256mb Kingmax PC3200 at Umart for 170 bucks or so which i though was a pretty good deal.
    But then in this thread....Tweaktown thread ....people saying kingmax is crap.
    So what is good then? I saw 256mb samsung PC3200 for something like 200 bucks.....Is it worth the extra or will the Kingmax be fine?

By the way Im planning to run this ram with a 2.5ghz P4 with Epox 4G4A+ ,60gb Seagate HDD and Leadtek 128mb GF4 Ti4200.

PS: Anything wrong with the rest of the theoretical setup?

It's not the fastest memory around but I've never had any probs with it. :confused:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

have a look at the WD drives with the 8MB cache.

Also take a look at the Epox 4BEAV motherboard - it's just about the same as the 4G4A but it doesn't have the integrated video so it's a little cheaper....doesn't seem to be as common though.

The 8 Mb cache drives are the way to go.

Mmmmm get a 256MB 2nd hand stick of single sided Samsung TCB3 CTL with a samsung PCB (ie. not a 3rd party stick). A lot of people have them running at more than 220Mhz :bounce: :bounce: But you gotta look around for them (and dont buy new Samsung PC2700... its DTL not CTL and sux in comparrison :scream: )

Thanks for the replies guys :D

I think Corsair is a bit our of my budget range. Do you guys have any opinions of Winbond memory either at PC2700 or PC3200 speeds cos they are cheaper than the Corsairs and I've heard they are quite decent.

Winbond PC3200 chips are used on the Corsair XMS3200 CAS 2 (and 2.5) revision 2.1 sticks... However, the quality of the PCB plays a part, and thus your not garunteed as good an overclock. However, they should run at more than 210Mhz :D

BTW if you know anyone who will sell you tested 2nd hand generic (and real) singled sided Samsung PC2700 on a Samsung PCB and the CTL revision, buy it! That is, without a doubt, the best memory ever produced (price:performance ratio though) :eek:

Thread Information