Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop processor upgrade?

I own a Dell Inspiron 3800 w/ a 600 Celeron and really want to upgrade the processor to something decent, like a pIII 800+ mhz. I have had no luck find specific information about laptop processor upgrades. I am currently running RedHat 7.3 and want a fast processor w/ good graphics support, unlike the Celeron. Any suggestions, information, or experiences would be appreciated!

I seriously doubt that you can upgrade the processor yourself as parts, settings, etc. for laptops are generally not available to the public. Disassembling the laptop can be a daunting task as well. There are a few companies that can upgrade some laptops. Do a search for them, contact them, and see where you can go from there.

My English teacher tell me hard upgrade laptop

I would think a mobile processor?

Maybe one day laptops will be available to the public? I would mind building a cheap duron based one to bring to school instead of binders and notebook paper

ReSpAwN DeMoN

Fortunatly for you, laptops are currently available to the public. Most parts and settings are hard to come by though.

Ya most of the parts are hard to find. No any places? I mean like majorly the actual CASE and screen and keyboard that's like IMPOSSIBLE! but expansion cards ya I could find them hard drives? ya I can them processors well mobile chips I think I can find mobile ram I think so too but I'm not quite sure. Mobo's? Where do I get all these pieces? I mean bringing a laptop to school may be a bad idea but if I could put like a cheap duron 600 machine together heh yuh never know.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    I would think a mobile processor?

Maybe one day laptops will be available to the public? I would mind building a cheap duron based one to bring to school instead of binders and notebook paper
    have a look at the ECS desknotes - they use desktop PC CPU's and Ram they come pre-configured with Via or Tualatin Celeron Chips..or you can get them as a barebones set up for either a P4 or Athlon - where you just add in you own desktop chip DDR Ram & mobile harddrive.

other than the hard ware the only difference between a desknote and a laptop - is that the desknote doesn't have an internal battery - so you have to plug it in - or take an external battery pack with you

Unfortunately - you still get crappy integrated graphics - so it's not a great LAN option...but considering the upgradability factor & the fact that they're priced so much lower than conventional laptops - they make a pretty good deal.

Well I've never taken a laptop or "desknote" appart or even peeked inside! But I'll say this if your putting a desktop processor in one. What kind of heatsink is this thing running? Or is it a laptop that isn't 1 inch thick its more like 4 inches thick. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    Ya most of the parts are hard to find. No any places? I mean like majorly the actual CASE and screen and keyboard that's like IMPOSSIBLE! but expansion cards ya I could find them hard drives? ya I can them processors well mobile chips I think I can find mobile ram I think so too but I'm not quite sure. Mobo's? Where do I get all these pieces? I mean bringing a laptop to school may be a bad idea but if I could put like a cheap duron 600 machine together heh yuh never know.
    The origional poster wanted to upgrade.Ram and hard drives are about the only internal parts that you are likely to find readily available for doing upgrades. And in fact, with some laptops, even replacing the hard drive is a major pain. There are no internal expansion ports in a laptop, so I can't imagine what cards you think you can install. (Expansion is usually done with PCMCIA cards in an external port, or hanging pereferals on the i/o ports.) Motherboards are almost always propriatary, not only to each manufacturer, but often for each model. Good luck getting a manufacturer to sell you one. If you ever happen to look inside of a notebook, you may see that the cpu is soldered in. No zif sockets here! Also you should know that many mainstream laptop manufacturers have eshewed mobile processors in their high-end notebooks. This is called the desktop replacement market where most mobile processors are considered to be under-powered. And I haven't seen any that are 4" thick. I guess they have engineers or something to figure those things out.

Yeh RAM is just about the only laptop part that ive ever seen for sale. Ive never seen a mobile processor for sale. Try going straight to intel/AMD and asking them but i dont think that general public will have access to these parts in the near future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information