Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My possible Setup. Should I change anything?

Well I have $1100 to spend so I have been looking around. Everything is off of Newegg except the Volcano 7+.

Ok here we are:

AMD Athlon 2100+
    Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon-Ultra Platinum Edition
    Samsung PC-2700 512mb CAS 2.5
    Radeon 9700PRO (Gigabyte or ATI havent decided yet)
    Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
    Artec 32x12x48 CD-RW
    Raidmax Silver Hydraulic ATX case
    Thermaltake Silent PurePower 360W PSU
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    Sony 1.44mb Floppy Drive

Not too bad. It totals around $1115.

So my question is what if anything should I change?

Can't Wait :)

-PGA1234

Oh yeah and are all of these parts compatible? Thanks again :).

-PGA1234

Nice setup but the only thing i would change is the MOBO. Its not a bad board but the ATI 9700 supports 8x AGP, so i mean why not get a mobo with an 8x AGP onbaoard. As for the brand of the GPU board i would get ATI. I dunno but i would perfer the manufacture of the GPU board be the same as the manufacture of the chip itself. Just a fetish i guess but to me it makes sense.
    - Damien

Abit has a MOBO...with an 8x AGP, onboard LAN, and audio...it doesn't have raid bt by the looks of your setup you aren't going to use it ...it also supports USB 2.0 and is cheaper than the SOYO. Oh, and Abit boards are good overclockers too! Look into it it the ABIT KD7,VIA KT400 chipset.
    - Damien

If the price isn't too much higher, you might want to go with Corsair or Mushkin cas2 ram.

What would be a good site to pick up that mobo? And I will probably be able to upgrade my ram to a better type since the new mobo is probably a little cheaper. Is the ABIT KD7,VIA KT400 better than the soyo? Thanks again guys :).

-PGA1234

I shop a lot at Newegg and TCWO. Good prices, good service. Look at feature sets on the boards and see if you get what you think you are going to need with each one. There are lots of reviews on line to help you narrow it down once you define your minimum feature requirements.

Moving thread to "What Should I Buy" ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    If the price isn't too much higher, you might want to go with Corsair or Mushkin cas2 ram.
    Actually, the Samsung PC2700 has been getting excellent reveiws - at least the ones that I've read.

ABiT and SoYo are both good solid boards...the thing is that the ABiT supports AGP 8x (for your ATI 9700), as well as USB 2.0, PC2700&PC3200 (which you don't really need but hey). Plus it brings everything else your Soyo brought like onboard LAN and sound (which looks like it has a digital out). I own an ABIT and it has been solid so far.

As for the Samsung use your money on something else like the extra 30 bucks for a 2200+..since Samsung has treated me well with stability and overclocking. I own 1 GiG of Samsung PC2700.
    - Damien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information