Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System buying

The following componets are what I am planning on buying from scorptec.com.au real soon.
    If any of you can see any compatibility issues or any recommendations to change any of the following can you please let me know asap.

-Pioneer DVD-106S Pioneer DVD-106S 16x 40x cdrom Slot Load, IDE DVD-ROM Drive (OEM) ATA66 with Digital Audio Extractio $95.00

-AMD XP2000+BOX AMD PALAMINO XP 2000+ (1670mhz) RETAIL BOX $235.00

-Sony MPF920-E/161 Sony 1.44mb Floppy Drive $25.00

-Maxtor D740X80.0GB MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX PLUS D740X 80.0GB 7200rpm ATA-133 $215.00 (x2)

-OEM 256mb PC-2100 256mb DDR RAM PC-2100 $130.00 (x2)

-LG F700B LG Flatron 700B - 17" Flat Monitor Business Model $345.00

-Epox 8K3A+ Epox 8K3A+ Socket A Via KT333 (DDR333, ATA133) with RAID $190.00

-Codegen 400w Codegen ATX 400watts Power Supply P4 Ready $75.00

-Creative Sound Blaster Live DE Creative Sound Blaster Live Digital Entertainment 5.1 Special Edition RETAIL BOX $70.00

-Gigabyte AP64D-H Gigabyte AP64D-H Radeon8500/64MB/128BIT/G4Ti4400/DDR/TV-OUT/DVI/TwView/HW-Monitor $295.00

-Aopen AON-325 Aopen AON-325 10/100 Fast Ethernet $25.00
    -Leadtek TV2000 XP Leadtek Winview TV2000 XP TV TUNER with FM RADIO $140.00

-Netcomm NETCOMMPCI56K NetComm Internal 56K V.90 Retail Pack Data/Fax/Voice I56LVP $40.00

Total $2225.00

Your help will be appreciated.

There shouldn't be any compatability problems, but if you have any plans of overclocking then I'd make a few changes. OEM processor with an aftermarket heatsink would be more effective cooling-wise. Also, OEM memory may or may not be effective if you decide to boost the speeds at all. It tends to be very low end.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I would take a look a the Western Digital Special edition drives (with 8MB cache), they are sweet . . . :thumb:
    Other than that I agree with Darthtanion: go with the OEM processor and afer market heatsink (thermaltake val. 7+). Also, I would stay away from OEM memory. . . .esp if you want to uber clock.:shoot3:

overclocking isnt to much of an issue. This is my first real serious computer and i dont really have to much interest in overclocking at this stage. I'd rather just keep things running smooth instead of probably makeing it fast and unstable. hehe

even if you are not overclocking, you want to have a good heat sink on your processor... and more importantly you want to have good memory. I would highly suggest invest a few extra $, to get these.

About the overclocking, you might decide you want to overclock in the future which would mean that you would still have to buy a new heat/sink fan and better memory. plus, overclocking != (does not equal) unstable machine. Hardcore Overclocking will result in unstable machine!

Besides that your system looks great, maybe go with the radeon 9700 if you have the cash to burn, hehhe

I'm not to sure how much it will relate to my CPU cooling but my case has 5 fans installed in it.

If still needed what sort of resonable cooling should i be looking at for the CPU.

I've also been looking into changing the ram over for a lil while, but im not to sure what kind of ram would be best. I know i want to go for 512 mb, but im not to positive about 2100 or 2700, brand, ect...any help on that would be good.

Being in Australia, can't you get Samsung memory at a reasonable price? If so, then you might pick up some of that since it is reputedly some pretty good stuff. Right now, PC2700 is about all you'll need, but go for the PC3200 if you can afford the ticket price.

As for the CPU cooling, the five case fans will help out considerably, but you still need a quality heatsink to set it all off right. You'll find a lot of folks around here like the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF, and rightfully so. It offers some very good cooling at a reasonable price and also has an adjustable fan so you can decide how fast you want it to run in accordance with what type of tasks you're currently doing. Need to do some word processing and web surfing? Knock the fan speed down and enjoy a quiet machine. Need to destroy those mighty critters from your favorite game online? Crank up the fan RPMs and have no fear about a hot system. It's only real drawback is that it uses a non-standard sized 70mm fan so it makes changing out fans a bit difficult.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by saidin
    Besides that your system looks great, maybe go with the radeon 9700 if you have the cash to burn, hehhe
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    but go for the PC3200 if you can afford the ticket price.
    Ok it looks like I have too much money to spend
    :cry:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

I'm still kind of stuck on the ram siuation.

http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php...subid=00000043

that is where I'm planning on buying it from, and i'd prefer to buy it all from the one place.
    What there would be recommended tryign to keep as close to the original ram budget as i can?

can u get cruicial in Australia as they really are the best for ram, even though scorptec dosn't appear to to stock them I would seriosly recomend cruicial if u can get hold of it.

Failing that go for corsair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information