Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building my first computer.

Hey all, I've been researching building a computer for a while now, and have finally decided to build my first one. I just wanted to run the list of parts by you guys ones, and see if anyone had any last minute suggestions.

Motherboard: Epox 8K5A2+
    Case: Lian Li PC6089 - It looked cool in the review.
    Hard Drive: 80mb WD with 8mb cache
    Memory: Corsair DDR-SDRAM 512MB XMS3200
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
    Athlon XP 2200

I realise some parts are missing, like the disk drives and wot not, but I think I'll just canibalize my old computer and hope the pieces work.
    I didn't really research the Video Card, but that looked good, so I decided on it.
    I hear new Athlon chips are coming out, should I buy one of those, or is the price going to be double what I could get the 2200 for?
    I am also missing a power supply and a cooling system. I didn't feel much like researching those things, so if somone could just point me to a couple good ones, that would be sweet.
    Also, I'm building the computer for gaming and maybe a bit of overclocking.
    Oh, and does anyone have any info on the Bluetooth wireless stuff I can get on an EPOX board? Is it worth it to get the Bluetooth stuff?

Here's a good PSU: http://www.directron.com/eg351pve.html Then some good case fans are: http://www.directron.com/a1214.html. Setup looks alot like mine is going to be :thumb:.
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Bluetooth has been around for a couple of years now. It is just begining to attract any real attention. There aren't a lot of devices yet that you might want to use with a desktop box (imho). I would not personally use it as a criterian for choosing a mobo, but if the mobo I chose for other reasons had it, I would just think of that as a bonus. I have been a fan of Antec power supplies for a while now and have recently read some very good reviews of their Trupower line.

Yes the new 2400+ and 2600+ should start showing up anytime now in stores so if ya can wait a couple of weeks then it will be worth it, though it will cost.
    AMD has some low pricing around on the "Thoroughbred I" CPU's now to try and quickly move them out of the way so that the "Thoroughbred II" CPU's can fillout the entire range in short order. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

PGA1234, the ATI Radeon 9700 you point to is AGP 8X, with that work with the EPOX 8K5A2+?

I really couldnt tell you because I have no experience with that board. I am buying a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP for my new system.

yes, the radeon will work with your board. It should be backward compatible with 2x, 4x AGP. You will only be able to run the card at 4x, but it will work. Plus, with the radeon 9700 there is not that much difference b/w 8x and 4x. :thumb:

You might want to think about a slightly larger power suply as the 9700 is supposed to be a real hog, it has it's own conector, instead of running thru the mobo

Well if you have a high quality 350W psu (like the one I gave a link to) it can actually be able to give more power than a generic 430W PSU.

i would rather spen the extra 20 dollars and get the high quality power supply that is >400 watts! :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information