Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Critique The Specs Please

Yeh, you do that by overclocking the bus thought right? not all motherboards have enough stability to increase the FSB to 166. For example i've heard of several Gigabyte boards that cannot raise the FSB past 150 even on a multiplier of 5. Anyhow, is AMD releasing 166mhz FSB chips or what? at this stage it all seems like rumours/speculation, and knowing AMD it will be VERY far off

Last time I check AMD had a paper release of the 2700+ and 2800+ (Oct 1), which both have 166 FSB. They will be on the market around december/ january. :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by Ehhe Yebeb
    The performance difference between PC2700 & PC3200 is closer to zero, in some cases PC3200 DDR400 boards benchmark LOWER than KT333 boards with PC2700.
    Yes that is true, but those benchmarks were most likely used with the lesser CL2.5 pc-3200. I have the CL2 version, which I havent seen any benchmarks for. And also the PC-3200 should be used on KT-400 boards so they run at full speed.
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Corsair XMS-3200 C2 and EPoX 8KA3/+'s are very good starters for running at 166MHz FSB and above (211MHz is the fastest that I've run the memory at so far). If ya read most of the XP2700+ reviews you'll find that most sites used the 8K3A+ motherboard anyway. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

So it was running at 422mhz effectively? How much did that increase performance (if any)?

At 178MHz FSB the CPU was pushin' heaps though havin' the memory at +33MHz didn't improve things much more but at least when DMA hardware needs access to main memory it does have to make the CPU make room for it as the extra bandwidth is there. Just goin' to the 166MHz FSB will add between 8-15% performance depending on what benchtesting programs your using. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I'd probably hold off on the Asus board as well. Lately, Asus seems to be slipping in their AMD side of things. Abit is one of my favorites right now as is Iwill---thought I don't know if their KK400 is available yet.
    Also, I personally think the Hercules Fortissimo II is much better than the Audigy. Unless you absolutely need to have that firewire port, I'd seriously look into something that is cheaper and has better driver support.

I'm personally not as fond of Epox as the only board from them I've used, the 8K3A+, died within the first 2 weeks of ownership. I'll probably try them again, but for right now, I'm steering clear of Epox.

The Abit-Max 2 is a very nice board...

Why? you must be one of the only people ive heard of that has had a problem with it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information