Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique The Specs Please

This is what I've come up with for a new computer. It will mostly be used for gaming and some graphics work. I know the components are not all top of the line, but I'm trying to buy quality parts that will last, with a tight budget in mind. Overclocking could be a possibility... maybe, depends if I know what I'm doing enough or not....

I've decided not to wait for AMD with all the paper releases and so on, and get the 2100+...I think it's a good performer right now, and from what I understand I won't have a problem upgrading to a Barton if needed.

The video card is a GeForce 4 Ti 4200.

Wasn't sure if I should get a LiteOn or a Plextor, but, again from what I've read, LiteOn seems to have a good rep and a good price. :)

Hmm, don't know what else to say, was thinking about a Volcano 7+ HSF.....no real price difference between the Goliath, but I think the Goliath is a better performer from what I've read.

Anyways, ANY comments and criticisms are welcome!!!
    Tell me what you think.

ps for speakers I already have a nice set of logitech z560 waiting for the new rig :D

Nice setup. Is the HDD a Western digital special edition? I would help you out a bit more but I do not know any really good canadian sites :cry:. Anyway looks like a nice setup :thumb:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Oh yeah, sorry bout not being specific about the Hard Drive. I was just going to go with any brand really, maxtor, WD....just 7200 rpm, 2 mb cache.

I have read about the WD special edition with the 8 mb memory. It's an extra 30 dollars (all prices in Canadian btw). I don't know if it's worth it. But I do have a little room for it, so I might end up getting it, since people seem to like it.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

BTW, right now I'm on a AMD K6-2 500, Voodoo 3-2000.....pity me !!!!!!! :p

hmm, it is worth it to go with WD special edition. Also, you might want to down grade on the 2100 and go with a 1800 or something lower. Save your money to put towards a 2800+....it will be worth the wait! But this is just my opinion! :geek:

Also with the HSF, you might want to check out thermaltake's volcano 7+...it is nice!~

That's a good point about the CPU. I'll think about it.

I'll read more Thermaltake 7+ reviews, it really doesn't matter to me if I get it, or the OCZ Goliath, whichever keeps my system cooler without crazy noise will be fine.

I also wonder about RAM. A lot of you seems to get brand name RAM (Crucial etc). Does this make a big difference or is it only for the hardcore overclocker?

Well first off the Volcano 7+ is the arguably the best HSF. Secondly name brand RAM is usually more reliable than generic RAM and will also last longer. But it does make HUGE differences when OC'ing. Thirdly the WD 8mb cache is well worth it. Fourthly right now I am running a PIII 600mhz w/ 8mb integrated graphics...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

pga1234, I feel bad for you and your 8mb video card. But soon you will have your new rig and be all set! :thumb:

Well if it was ME, buying first of all i'd change that motherboard, to something like an 8K5A2+ or 3+, i'd buy a seagate drive b/c they are the cheapest and very good, and i'd definetaly change that case, because its a complete waste of money, not to mention a huge lug, get yourself an antec case, it'll come out being cheaper and you will have a better PSU in it than that 365W cheap enermax version. I suggest 1080B, or 1080AMG, and last of all i'd change that HSF, $45 CD could probably buy you a volcano 7+ right? since you can get them here for $50.

yeah, I am not a fan of the case you have selected. I would go with a lian-li if you are going to spend that much money. If you want to save money go with the antec case, but I am not a fan of them.... I cannot stand the door!

Then get a performance plus 660, i got one without a door an its huge.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information