Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What should I get this time?

Question What should I get this time?

What should I get this time? Every 4 or 5 years I build at least one computer to keep up so I can fly combat flight sims with friends online. I am a bit late this go-round. I have not kept up much for a while and am looking to see what I can budget. My old computer from 2007, is: MSI P7N motherboard with Core2duo cpu, etc.. DDR2, etc,, outdated and can no longer keep up with the simulation world, online. MY friends tell me to go for I-5, quad core over 3 ghz cpu. I like Asus motherboards, but am open to others. DDR3 ram, etc.. also buying new case. I already know where I can get lots of these parts, and decent prices,,, different stores, some online others in stores nearby.

I am trying to break this into paragraphs, but this forum is not letting me move (it finally let me, after I saved it and came back), around and make paragraphs,, weird..??!! So, maybe a 3.4 ghz quad I-5 cpu, a decent asus motherboard,,, I don't know how big the pipes are now,,, last time I checked 1100 and 1300 fsb... are the fsb bigger now, should I find something with more fsb,,, also,, I have a PNY Nvidia GTX 460 video card, and it should probably be ok,, but I have the chance to sli it, I know where I can get a matching one at a good price, and I know people have got happy results with the Nvidia 560 series.. but going up to like the 580 series would be nice, but the money is getting to much so, I don't think I will do that... I already upgraded to Win8, mainly because I got it cheaper than Win7. I would love to hear opinions for a budget. Meaning,... I can't go hog wild, just something decent. What would be decent,, and keep it maybe around $700. I already have the software.

Also, I need a couple more sata drives... I only have one sata, the rest of mine are the old ide drives (suck). I know some people who got ssd drives and like them. Not sure if I will, considering. I am not worried about cooling much, but should I be? Are the newer computers still running hot, I thought since they keep shrinking the parts down, less current, equals less heat. But, maybe they still need big fans,,, not sure if I wil go water cooling, as, the budget may not allow it,, I will see. We need a new/used car and it has higher priority than the computer stuff. I need to give my wife my rig, as hers is an old Pentium 4 that is a pile of carp.

btw, I have a 46" LCD HDTV I use with HDMI cable from my video card. it doesn't take much power from a video card with hdmi.
    Last edited by retiredat44; 02-04-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Cool Re: What should I get this time?

I have been very happy with my:
    =
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68 V Pro Gen3
    Processor
    Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
    Memory (part number)
    G.Skill F3-17000CL9-8GBXM
    Video Card # 1
    PNY GTX460

Hard Drive # 1
    WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB

Case
    Cooler Master HAF 922
    Power Supply
    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

Monitor
    46" Samsung LCD HDTV
    Operating SystemPlease specify if it is 32 or 64 bit
    Win8 x64
    ========

I run my simulators flight sims, and applications very well. It's not the best and the video card is a couple years old, but runs very good. I just wish I could be a new fligth stick,,, mu Saitek stick and pedals are worn out after only a few short easy years...
    ==============

Quote Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
    What should I get this time? Every 4 or 5 years I build at least one computer to keep up so I can fly combat flight sims with friends online. I am a bit late this go-round. I have not kept up much for a while and am looking to see what I can budget. My old computer from 2007, is: MSI P7N motherboard with Core2duo cpu, etc.. DDR2, etc,, outdated and can no longer keep up with the simulation world, online. MY friends tell me to go for I-5, quad core over 3 ghz cpu. I like Asus motherboards, but am open to others. DDR3 ram, etc.. also buying new case. I already know where I can get lots of these parts, and decent prices,,, different stores, some online others in stores nearby.

Thread Information