Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help building a new gaming computer

Default Need help building a new gaming computer

My previous desktop died on me and I would like build a decent gaming computer (cause its cheaper to build than buy) and would like some advice on whether the parts I choose are fine. My primary use would be gaming (average gamer), and perhaps some light video editing.

I am a noob with all these computer parts but after some research, have decided to get something like (open to suggestions):

CPU: i5-3470
    Mobo: H77/Z77 chipset
    GPU: GTX 650 Ti (minimum)
    500 GB HDD, 64/128GB SSD
    20-22" Monitor
    PSU: not sure how much power supply I need but perhaps 550-625w (80+ Bronze) is enough?
    Case: Not good with cases :/

I'm not too sure the difference for each part for individual retailers (e.g. AsRock, Gigabyte) but I see there are different variations for the same part so advice on which brand I should get will be a great help. Also those parts I named are just a rough idea so opinions on what I should switch them with are also welcome! (hopefully not too expensive compared to what I have picked as I am on a budget). Just a note, I would prefer if ASUS is left out of my options as I have recently a very bad experience with them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Re: Need help building a new gaming computer

not waiting for haswell? due june

something like a z77 d3h motherboard and an xfx 650 psu,8gb of Samsung green memory and a 7850 or a 7870xt graphic card?

cpu could be a 3750k?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    not waiting for haswell? due june

something like a z77 d3h motherboard and an xfx 650 psu,8gb of Samsung green memory and a 7850 or a 7870xt graphic card?

cpu could be a 3750k?
    Oh yeah haswell, if I get a haswell processors would it affect the compatibility of other parts like the motherboard? Heard that it uses a different socket or something?

Is a 650 psu needed or lower is enough? I don't plan on OCing in the near future so for now maybe 3470/3570? I'm looking at nVidia cards actually, so maybe gtx 650/660/670.

yes haswell is a different socket,you could buy a cheaper cpu and psu,the gtx 660ti is a decent card
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

If you might want to run an SLI setup in the future, you should buy a high quality 650 watt power supply, if not, a 500 watt psu will be fine.
    Don't cut corners and buy a cheapy psu, the psu is the foundation of your system and you need it to provide it's full rated power and the power must be as clean and stable as possible. I suggest reading reviews from JonnyGuru, HardOCP, HardwareSecrets, PCPER, TechPowerUp or Benchmark Reviews and select a highly rated psu that any of these sites recommend. Many cheap power supplies don't output their "rated" power and provide dirty electrical power. Some of the best psu brands are Antec, Corsair, NZXT, Seasonic and XFX.

If you think that you will overclock your cpu in the future you will need to buy the 3570K Ivy Bridge or 4570K Haswell cpu. Only the K models can be overclocked. An Ivy Bridge system will be less expensive than the newer Haswell systems and performance will be similar. Hawell's main advantage is more and better Intel SATA3 and USB 3.0 connections. Ivy Bridge and Haswell motherboards and cpu's use different sockets, 1155 versus 1150 and are not compatible.

The GTX 650 Ti Boost has excellent performance for its price range.
    The various Ti models offer more performance than the non-Ti models.
    I like HardOCP's gpu reviews because they concentrate on which cards offer the best game play experience and don't just go by the benchmark scores.

Keep in mind that an overclocked cpu and gpu will give you the best gaming performance.

You should buy at least 8GB (2 x 4GB) of memory that is listed in the compatible memory list for the motherboard model that you buy.

My Asus 24" monitor has been excellent and I suggest that you buy a monitor that natively supports 1920 x 1080 resolution. Using a slightly lower screen resolution while gaming will let you use somewhat higher in game quality settings.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    If you might want to run an SLI setup in the future, you should buy a high quality 650 watt power supply, if not, a 500 watt psu will be fine.
    Don't cut corners and buy a cheapy psu, the psu is the foundation of your system and you need it to provide it's full rated power and the power must be as clean and stable as possible. I suggest reading reviews from JonnyGuru, HardOCP, HardwareSecrets, PCPER, TechPowerUp or Benchmark Reviews and select a highly rated psu that any of these sites recommend. Many cheap power supplies don't output their "rated" power and provide dirty electrical power. Some of the best psu brands are Antec, Corsair, NZXT, Seasonic and XFX.
    I won't intentionally run an SLI setup cause I don't know how to set it up (lol), so I guess I should be fine with 500w?
    If you think that you will overclock your cpu in the future you will need to buy the 3570K Ivy Bridge or 4570K Haswell cpu. Only the K models can be overclocked. An Ivy Bridge system will be less expensive than the newer Haswell systems and performance will be similar. Hawell's main advantage is more and better Intel SATA3 and USB 3.0 connections. Ivy Bridge and Haswell motherboards and cpu's use different sockets, 1155 versus 1150 and are not compatible.
    Don't think I will OC my cpu, at least not this one. I'm not that good with computers, I don't even know how to build one myself! (having a friend to help me out)
    Do you think its better to wait out a couple more weeks for Haswell to be out (will it be for sale when its announced?) or to get Ivy Bridge now? I don't desperately need a computer right now but am just a little worried that the Haswell processors will be very expensive somehow.

The GTX 650 Ti Boost has excellent performance for its price range.
    The various Ti models offer more performance than the non-Ti models.
    I like HardOCP's gpu reviews because they concentrate on which cards offer the best game play experience and don't just go by the benchmark scores.

Keep in mind that an overclocked cpu and gpu will give you the best gaming performance.

You should buy at least 8GB (2 x 4GB) of memory that is listed in the compatible memory list for the motherboard model that you buy.

My Asus 24" monitor has been excellent and I suggest that you buy a monitor that natively supports 1920 x 1080 resolution. Using a slightly lower screen resolution while gaming will let you use somewhat higher in game quality settings.
    24" might be too big for my current desk so I'll probably get 20/22 whichever space permits (or mount it though I've always preferred it on the desk). Will 20/22" natively support 1920x1080 reso?

And thanks so much for the detailed reply! It helped alot!

You're welcome.
    Check the price differences between a good quality 500 - 550 watt psu and a similar 650 watt model. Buying a psu that is a somewhat more powerful than you need doesn't really waste electricity, but it will cost you quite a bit more if you want to SLI your system in a year or two and you then need to buy a more powerful psu. A power supply should never be run where it is putting out more than 80% of it's rated power for a long period of time, such as when you are gaming. I performed a lot of gaming benchmarks with my GTX 460 where the cpu and video card were overclocked to the maximum and my power supply's output was about 275 - 300 watts. This means that you could probably get by with a 400 - 450 watt power supply, but you would have no room to upgrade your system in the future.

If you buy a GTX 650 Ti Boost video card, buy a model that has 2GB of memory, as the cost on my side of the pond is only about $10 - $15 more than the 1GB model. I just measured my 24" monitor and its width is 22 1/8 inches or 562mm, including the bezels. A quick check of five different brands of 20" monitors showed that they have a recommended resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels. The recommend resolution for 22" monitors is 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1080.

When new cpu families are first available, their prices are usually higher than the normal "list" prices and it can take several months for the prices to gradually drop to their "regular" price range. It looks like Haswell will initially have some USB 3.0 problems in some situations and that this won't be fixed until the next hardware stepping version is released, probably in August or somewhat later.

One possible/probable issue with brand new motherboard releases is that their bioses are immature and there can be bugs that can take several months to get straightened out. Sometimes these bugs cause problems with some video cards, memory and/or overclocking. As long as you are not in a hurry to buy a new system, waiting for several months is probably the best way to go where you can see what the prices are with Ivy Bridge and Haswell systems. This will give you plenty of time to read the Haswell reviews and see if the higher Haswell prices are worth it to you.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

You're welcome.
    Check the price differences between a good quality 500 - 550 watt psu and a similar 650 watt model. Buying a psu that is a somewhat more powerful than you need doesn't really waste electricity, but it will cost you quite a bit more if you want to SLI your system in a year or two and you then need to buy a more powerful psu. A power supply should never be run where it is putting out more than 80% of it's rated power for a long period of time, such as when you are gaming. I performed a lot of gaming benchmarks with my GTX 460 where the cpu and video card were overclocked to the maximum and my power supply's output was about 275 - 300 watts. This means that you could probably get by with a 400 - 450 watt power supply, but you would have no room to upgrade your system in the future.
    Sorry for asking a stupid question, but does SLI-ing my system mean to plug in another gfx card (similar to my first card or?) into a SLI-able motherboard or something? Is there any software needed to tweak anything or whatever? Because it sounds like a cheap alternative to buying a brand new high end gfx card in order to upgrade your GPU capabilities.

If you buy a GTX 650 Ti Boost video card, buy a model that has 2GB of memory, as the cost on my side of the pond is only about $10 - $15 more than the 1GB model. I just measured my 24" monitor and its width is 22 1/8 inches or 562mm, including the bezels. A quick check of five different brands of 20" monitors showed that they have a recommended resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels. The recommend resolution for 22" monitors is 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1080.
    Yup! I will be buying the GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB, maybe the one by Palit as it seems cheaper as compared to other brands like ASUS and Gigabyte. Read a review and it seems fine. Its slightly overclocked too and with a dual-fan setup. Would I need extra fans for my cpu or some cooling system? I doubt I will be OCing my cpu as I'm not proficient with computers but I might tweak my GPU up just a tiny bit.

What do you mean by recommended resolution? I want to have a monitor that can play games or watch videos of 1080p comfortably. Does this mean that I can't do that for a 20" monitor?

When new cpu families are first available, their prices are usually higher than the normal "list" prices and it can take several months for the prices to gradually drop to their "regular" price range. It looks like Haswell will initially have some USB 3.0 problems in some situations and that this won't be fixed until the next hardware stepping version is released, probably in August or somewhat later.

One possible/probable issue with brand new motherboard releases is that their bioses are immature and there can be bugs that can take several months to get straightened out. Sometimes these bugs cause problems with some video cards, memory and/or overclocking. As long as you are not in a hurry to buy a new system, waiting for several months is probably the best way to go where you can see what the prices are with Ivy Bridge and Haswell systems. This will give you plenty of time to read the Haswell reviews and see if the higher Haswell prices are worth it to you.
    I was thinking I'll get Haswell (to future proof my computer), and probably just wait it out for the bugs to be fixed and all, what do you think of that? Right now I'm using a very old laptop (an old iBook G4) and it can't even play Youtube videos properly, and the freezes are crazy. So, while I'm not desperate for a new computer yet, I would also love to get a new one soon, haha.

So many questions, but at least you are honest with you're forum name.

Check out the Nvidia SLI FAQ at SLI | FAQ | GeForce.
    Yes, both cards need to be from the same family (e.g. GTX 650 Ti) and should have the same amount of memory.
    Different brands of video cards from the same family should be OK.
    You do need to buy an SLI capable motherboard.
    A single high end video card should run cooler than a dual card setup, but the upfront cost is much higher.

Before you buy a video card, contact the manufacturer's tech support and ask it they have tested the model you want to buy with the motherboard that you want to buy. There have been quite a few forum threads where some video cards were not even recognized by the motherboard until a newer bios was released to fix the problem. This happened much more often with ASRock Ivy Bridge motherboards than with Gigabyte motherboards. As I recall, most of these problems were with Sapphire video cards. I don't know if MSI or Asus motherboards had a lot of similar video card issues.

Recommended resolution was the term reported by Newegg when I used their comparison chart. It's my understanding the LCD monitors perform best when they are run at their native resolution. The screen text might be awfully small with a 20" monitor running with 1920 x 1080 resolution. Check it out in person at a local computer shop to see if this will be a problem.

Check out some of my pictures in MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) Overclocking Results to see my SLI setup. Posts #110 and #112 have pictures of my "custom" cooling setup.

Adequate gpu cooling can be an issue especially if you have other cards installed in your system directly above or below either of the video cards. I have a full sized audio card installed below my lower SLI card and the audio card restricts the airflow to the point where my lower gpu card runs 5O (C h otter than the upper card.

A modular psu is somewhat more expensive but the main advantage is that you only need to install and use the psu power cables that are needed for your system and this will help with better cooling because there will be fewer psu cables in your case and this will improve air flow inside of the case. You will need a computer case that provides very good case cooling.

Buying a less expensive video card sometimes is not the best way to go. This is because many higher priced video cards have a better built in cooling setup that is often quieter and runs cooler than the lower priced models, especially when the video card is overclocked. Some video cards come with a three year warranty instead of the standard two year warranty. Some EVGA video cards might come with a lifetime warranty.
    Haswell should be available on June 2nd if you want to live dangerously.
    Good things come to those who wait , but we all want instant gratification.

BTW, I think that a GTX 650 Ti 2GB SLI setup will leave my GTX 460 SLI setup in the dust, even when I move them to a Haswell setup sometime later this year.
    Last edited by profJim; 05-24-2013 at 01:58 AM.

So many questions, but at least you are honest with you're forum name.

Check out the Nvidia SLI FAQ at SLI | FAQ | GeForce.
    Yes, both cards need to be from the same family (e.g. GTX 650 Ti) and should have the same amount of memory.
    Different brands of video cards from the same family should be OK.
    You do need to buy an SLI capable motherboard.
    A single high end video card should run cooler than a dual card setup, but the upfront cost is much higher.

Before you buy a video card, contact the manufacturer's tech support and ask it they have tested the model you want to buy with the motherboard that you want to buy. There have been quite a few forum threads where some video cards were not even recognized by the motherboard until a newer bios was released to fix the problem. This happened much more often with ASRock Ivy Bridge motherboards than with Gigabyte motherboards. As I recall, most of these problems were with Sapphire video cards. I don't know if MSI or Asus motherboards had a lot of similar video card issues.

Recommended resolution was the term reported by Newegg when I used their comparison chart. It's my understanding the LCD monitors perform best when they are run at their native resolution. The screen text might be awfully small with a 20" monitor running with 1920 x 1080 resolution. Check it out in person at a local computer shop to see if this will be a problem.

Check out some of my pictures in MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) Overclocking Results to see my SLI setup. Posts #110 and #112 have pictures of my "custom" cooling setup.

Adequate gpu cooling can be an issue especially if you have other cards installed in your system directly above or below either of the video cards. I have a full sized audio card installed below my lower SLI card and the audio card restricts the airflow to the point where my lower gpu card runs 5O (C h otter than the upper card.

A modular psu is somewhat more expensive but the main advantage is that you only need to install and use the psu power cables that are needed for your system and this will help with better cooling because there will be fewer psu cables in your case and this will improve air flow inside of the case. You will need a computer case that provides very good case cooling.

Buying a less expensive video card sometimes is not the best way to go. This is because many higher priced video cards have a better built in cooling setup that is often quieter and runs cooler than the lower priced models, especially when the video card is overclocked. Some video cards come with a three year warranty instead of the standard two year warranty. Some EVGA video cards might come with a lifetime warranty.
    Haswell should be available on June 2nd if you want to live dangerously.
    Good things come to those who wait , but we all want instant gratification.

BTW, I think that a GTX 650 Ti 2GB SLI setup will leave my GTX 460 SLI setup in the dust, even when I move them to a Haswell setup sometime later this year.
    An SLI capable motherboard... so Z77 should be my choice instead of a B75 or whatever right? If i have a 650 Ti Boost 2GB SLI setup, would I need to OC my 3470 processor or would 3.2ghz work fine?

Yeah I would be waiting for official Haswell prices to be out before I make my decision to buy Haswell, or wait a little for prices to drop, or get IB with hopefully lowered prices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information