Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrade options

Default Upgrade options

So i've been noticing games starting to stick and shutter at maxed out settings and figure it's probably time for an upgrade.. but what is the question

I built this system about 3-4 years ago and it's served me really well.

ASUS Crosshair III Formula Mainboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black
    ASUS HD6950 2GB Flashed to HD6970
    8GB of Gskills memory.. i really can't remember the timing or the speed anymore
    1TB Western Digital Black 7200rpm

I'm not really sure where the bottle neck would be other then maybe the video card? But should i just get a new 7x series or try to find another card like i have and crossfire it?

My Mainboard as far as i can see supports up to the Phenom II X6 series of CPU's.. but would i really see much improvement just adding more CPU cores?

Also i see SSD's have really come down in price and are looking better and better.. Do these effect gaming though? I mean other then loading times?

Any info or comments would be great.. My upgrade budget is around $500

PedangGila is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Upgrade options

I asked this back then in Ask The Expert corner about pairing a 7850 with my i3 530/H55 chipset system and they say go for it as long as it's single GPU setup. If I'm not mistaken Xfire/SLI need a better PSU as the second card might add another 100W+ easy to the system load. Now often I came across people having to choose between X4 965 and i3 3120 (which is better than my i3) so I assume with a pinch of doubt that both are in the same class. HD 6970 is a monster itself IMO so it wouldn't be dragging your CPU in you jump into 7 series wagon.

ABout SSD, I myself is like a caveman meets Coca-cola vending machine, the best I can think of is making many mini Coke machines. I'm building AMD rig myself, skipped the SSD option because I think it doesn't serve me well having a brick in there that cannot pull all the software/files anyway I wanted. Though I think I read it somewhere that it's harder for an SSD now to fail/bricked than it was few years ago so you might have a 24/7 functioning read-write drive for at least 2-3 years.

"This month, at the 2012 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting, engineers from Macronix plan to report the invention of a self-healing NAND flash memory that survives more than 100 million cycles" Sounds impressive but to me it just sounded current flash memory is dead prone.

"If Andes is just a grain then take my words with it"

Default Re: Upgrade options

I think a 7950 or a 7870xt will offer you the best value for money

cpu might be your bottleneck

and ssd's don't really benefit games,some yes but mostly no,it would benefit your pc performance though if you put windows onto an ssd
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information