I've been gifting my dad with gift cards for new egg for a couple years now...with the intention of having him save them up so we can collaborate on his next pc. The time has come (roughly $800 in gift cards)...and I've been doing a good amount of research. Im simply looking for advice and opinions on what I've come up with so far.

Build 1:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Mobo: Gigabyte Ga Z77x UD5H
HDD: WD Caviar black 1 tb 7200rpm
SSD: Samsung 840pro 128gb
GPU: gigabyte gtx 660 oc 2 gb
Memory:4x4gb corsair vengence
Case: Corsair Carbide 200r
PSU: Corsair cx500m
Monitor: 24 inch TN BenQ XL2411T
Optical: Asus BluRay reader DVD/CD writer

Build 2:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 with CM hyper EVO 212
(I went with this cpu because its on the low end of the socket 2011, which has more future options than build 1 and should be just as fast)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA X79 UP4
HDD: WD Caviar black 1 tb 7200rpm
SSD: Samsung 840pro 128gb
GPU: Gigabyte gtx660 oc 2 gb
Memory: 4x4gb corsair vengence
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
PSU: Corsair cx500m
Monitor: 24 inch TN BenQ XL2411T
Optical: Asus BluRay reader DVD/CD writer

I haven't decided on which of the two builds to go with. My dad always wants the best, of everything...but Im trying to hold him back some because even build 1 is overkill for what he uses(Mostly home theater/office computer/web browser). Each time he tells me he wants the best, I need to remind him the best would be a $4000 system. I came up with build 2 on the idea that we'd only be spending $200 more and it would be buying him a bit more futureproof of a system. He would be able to upgrade the cpu hopefully to an IB-E (as if he would ever really need to). Now haswell has come out, I wonder if I should just go with a build more like build 1...but with a haswell cpu and associated mobo. What are your thoughts/suggestions/bottlenecks on all components? Will the CM Hyper EVO 212 fit inside the Corsair Carbide 200R? Are my mobo choices reliable? I almost feel like in build 2 he doesnt need a board with 4 pci ex16 slots, so maybe I would consider a smaller board, but I dont see any gigabyte socket 2011 boards that are mATX and if I went with an asus mATX board I'd be paying the same price as the larger gigabyte board.