Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrade options on my old AMD Build

Default Upgrade options on my old AMD Build

I built this rig...roughly 5 years ago I believe, with the idea in mind that I could upgrade it easily. Here are the specs:
    CPU: AMD athlon 64 x2 4600
    Mobo: ASUS m2n32Sli Deluxe Wifi
    GFX: XFX Geforce 7950GT
    Memory: OCZ 2x2gb

I've heard that I can drop in an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black and it will work in my mobo with a bios update. Any truth in this? Complicated procedure? If that worked, and I upgraded my video card to say...a GTX 650...bumped up the ram to the mobo's max of 8gb...can this system be salvaged? Worth it? Is there a bottleneck in this idea residing in the motherboard itself that would make spending the extra dollars fruitless?

Adam.

PedangGila is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Upgrade options on my old AMD Build

I havent read enough the rest of the forum but when it comes to AMD CPU path upgrade, it'll be met with a silence.

First, I don't have/used the motherboard like yours, so I'll just turn myself into an idiot pretending to know stuffs.

However, with 2010.05.06 (5002) BIOS update version for your M/B, it's possible to current cpu to be replace with 965. Note, Asus marked this 5002 bios as Beta. If this goes well, you saved quite a lot for motherboard. Bottleneck issue, nope as far as I'm concern with the new CPU. I think, throw in that GTX 650 and 8gb ram in first before u flashed to AM3 support and see how you like it compared to your current gpu.

"If Andes is just a grain then take my words with it"

Default Re: Upgrade options on my old AMD Build

Good thinking. I guess that way, maybe the graphics card update will satisfy some of my gaming desires without having to flash the bios(Im a bit scared to flash). Thanks for your reply.

Thread Information