Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: how does this setup look?

ok, well it's almost time for me to build that video editing machine i've been asking advice on. here is the link to my wishlist at newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=171199
    i haven't decided on the video just yet. debating on the matrox g550 or a video capture card (not too sure how much analog video i'll be using). please let me know if these components will work for my first PC build attempt.
    thanks!:p

The systems looks good. The only recommendation that I would make would be for you to go with a raid configuration. Especially if you are doing video editing. I would get 2 of the 80 gig special edition western digital drives, and the mobo you want supports it (with the highpoint controller). Also, I would go with one stick of 512MB of memory, and get it at a CL of 2. You will notice the difference. Other than that it looks like a good box. :thumb:

Sorry but I don't like the case much as it does really look to be all that good in the airflow dept (your choice though) but definately get 512MB stick if ya using Win 2K or XP as this amount seems to be the sweet spot for these two oses. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yes very nice setup :thumb:. And what ^^^ said, get the 512mb stick of ram :thumb:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

thanks for the input! i think i'll place the order monday, wish me luck! I'm going to get a Samsung Original DDR333 PC-2700 512mb stick and the Matrox G550 (i can always add a capture card later). I do plan to RAID it with 2 WD caviar spec ed. 80Gb drives; i need to update my shopping cart. One last question, i wanted a seagate 20Gb for winXP+programs and leave the big drives for pure data. newegg only sells the seagate barracuda IV 40Gb ($81US). I only wanted 20Gb so i went with the WD 20Gb for $66US. Would it be stupid to not spend an extra $15 to get the extra 20Gb of space with the seagate? or is 40Gb excessive for OS+programs and i should leave it alone? both drives have a 1-yr warranty.

You can never have enough storage space. :devil:

Also if you get the larger drive you could always partition it in halves and ghost a backup to the second partition. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

alright then! the order is placed and i'm waiting in eager anticipation! The samsung RAM was sold out so i went with KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM. wish me luck!

Yes, good luck, have fun and keep us updated :thumb:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Hello everyone!! Just wanted to update you about my new build. This thing is AWESOME. All the parts went together without a single spark or flame. The MoBo didnít come with a CMOS battery, but an email to Abit and a trip to RadioShack fixed that. I partitioned 20GB of the 40GB drive for system/program files. Iím not too sure what Iím going to do with the other half. The two 80GB HDD will be RAID-0 for super-duper-insane fastness. I havenít RAIDed them yet; I wanted to make sure everything worked first. The MoBo only has 3 PCI slots, but the only PCI thing I have is a modem. All the onboard functions seem to be working. I put a blue LED fan up front, to keep the case running and looking cool. Win2K installed at lightning speed and without any problems. The MS Office Keyboard is incredible, so many buttons and a scroll wheel. The Samsung FDD is super quiet, canít even tell when itís working. The case works well, I donít have any cooling issues but itís alittle loud b/c Iíve got 2 intake fans and one exhaust. One thing that was nice, the Encore modem came with a lot of software (IE6, Netscape 6.2, Acrobat reader 5). All is well. I will have to take a break from building for a week or so, then Iíll RAID the HDDs. Iíll keep you posted. By the way, this computer is replacing an Intel Pentium, 200MHz, 128MB RAM, about 5 years old.:laugh:

New System Ė AMD 1900 Athlon XP, Abit AT7, Kingston 512MB DDR333, Seagate 40GB HDD, 2 x WD Caviar Special Edition 80GB HDD, Matrox G550 Videocard, LiteOn DVD, LiteOn CD-RW, Microsoft Office USB Keyboard. Samsung 1.44MB FDD, 450W Allied PSU, Evercase E4252 case, Encore V.93 56K modem

Thread Information