Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gaming Rig Upgrade - Comments Welcome

I'm in need of an upgrade right now, and I'm probably going to get all the parts in next month. I'm still in the process of picking the componenets, so here's what I've narrowed it down to... (All components with * behind them means something that I'm upgrading, components without the star/asterick means I already have it)

Processor - *Pentium 4 2.53 GHz 533FSB
    Motherboard - *Asus P4S8X
    Memory - *Samsung 512MB 333MHz DDR
    Case - *Thermaltake Xaser II A6000A
    Graphics Card - VisionTek GeForce 3 Ti500 (Xtasy 6964)
    Sound Card - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
    Hard Drives - Western Digital 40GB 2MB Cache / Maxtor 13GB 2MB Cache
    Optical Drive - Pacific Digital CD/RW 16x/12x/40x
    Speakers - Creative Inspire 5300 Digital
    Monitor - *NEC MultiSync FE950
    TV Tuner Card - ATI TV Wonder VE
    OS - Windows XP Professional

Right now I'm a bit lost in which motherboard I want, I'm still choosing between the Asus P4PE and P4S8X. I really like SiS's 648 chipset, and I'm wondering if the P4S8X will be compatible with the later-models of P4s (HT-enabled ones) :confused: . I'm also trying to pick feature-wise between the two mobos. Any comments on the setup or on my mobo-choosing issue are welcomed.

If you want a good gaming rig you need to consider upgrading your video card also. You might want to consider the AMD solution, save some money, and put towards a new video card. Also, you might want to check out the chiftec version of the case. I know it is not a flashy.....but it will save you some more money to put towards a new videocard!

Im pretty sure the SIS648 does not support hyper threading so it may be better to look for a 845PE board.

I agree with Saidin that you may want to look for a better graphics card if you plan to play games.....even a GeForce4 Ti4200 will do better and they are very affordable.

I also have to agree with Saidin...I mean you prolly want to upgarde that GeForce3..later on...4200 128MB...would very nice...and if you are in the US...they have a Chaintech Ti4600 for 235...thats not bad all at all (thats the card i am using). The Chaintech that i found is at newegg.com.
    - Damien

Thanks for the recommendations. I was already thinking about upgrading the video card, but not immediately since the NV30 is coming up and I could probably snag a 9700 Pro for cheap after that, or get the NV30 if it's under $350. As for saving money with the Cheiftec (sp?) case, my father's company has Thermaltakes in stock because 2 of their custom servers use the case, and 1 uses an Antec (they also have those in supply). So the case isn't really a big issue for me.

So I'll be checking the price on VCs once a new video solution arises.

At this point in time there is no need for a such a powerful card as the NV30, even the Radeon...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Thread Information