Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need suggestions

OK so I finally got around to doing an upgrade by buying an EpoX 8k3A+ motherboard, a volcano 9 and a 256 mb DDR 333 stick of RAM bringing my comp to the following (when the parts arrrive):

900 Mhz Thunderbird 200mhz fsb
    Volcano 9
    256 mb PC 2700 RAM
    Epox 8k3A+
    Visiontek Xstasy ti 4200 64mb
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    Altec Lansing 641 :D
    Creative Labs 12x10x32
    Intel 10/100 NIC
    350W Antec Power Supply
    and now things degenerate...
    Western Digital 30 gb 5400 rpm ata 33
    Maxtor 8 gb 5400 rpm
    Antec mid tower case (1 80mm case fan slot with fan in of course)

So here's the deal, I wanna stretch this comp as much as I can because I am in college and don't exactly have loads of cash. I was thinking of overclocking the CPU and graphics card BUT I have 2 main concerns: 1) am I going to get enough cooling in the old case and 2) is the hard drive going to be a serious bottleneck

Currently I have a POS heatsink/fan because I didn't think when I bought it (DOH) and even with the case cover off my cpu hits 60 C, not good. I'm pretty sure the Volcano will handle the cpu heat issues even if I overclock. I'm worried about heat from the RAM and the video card. Should I start looking at a new case with tons of fan ports?

BTW, awesome site, very helpful.
    -Harbinger
    Wannabe l33t overclocker

If ya change the Volcano 9 for a Volcano 7+ I'd say that about 1.2GHz should be the go and believe me the 7+ on high speed is quiet when compared to the SMART FAN II on the 9 at full speed (the 7+ usually only needs medium speed though) plus run 3-5c cooler while doin' it. do get that case well ventilated though as the best HSF in the world won't help ya if it can't get a lot of fresh air. ;)

Good luck with it. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Why would you choose a processor rated at 200mz FSB? Looking on Pricewatch, I see a listing for a 1.13 Athlon at 266mz FSB for the same price as the one you ordered.

I bought that tbird roughly 2 years ago, freshman year. Been a while since I upgraded, until then I was running off a celeron 400 and voodoo3 3000, blek!

How can I easily and cheaply measure the temperature on my ti4200's core??? I o/ced it a bit, ran ut2003 and it ran fine, but the back of the card is very hot to the touch. Is it ok as long as it doesn't crash? Or is it possible I could end up with a new coaster even if I don't get a BSOD???
    -Harbinger
    Wannabe l33t overclocker

Thread Information