Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Your opinion about this upgrade.

I'm thinking about a serious upgrade containing the new
    P4 3.06 ghz hyper threading cpu and the NV30 graphicschip when it's released.

My goal is to be able to play doom 3 very well with high details, and of course the other heavy titels that are going to show up in 2003. I realize there aren't mutch info released about this specifik game and it's not a very easy ques to answer but...
    As we use to say, that's why you guys are here. =)

Oh, and i will be running 512 mb of Kingston pc-1066 instead of 256 mb as shown in my system specs.

:rolleyes:

Well if you get it when it's new it'll be the top of the range so it should run d3 better than most things.
    I would wait for a few reveiws before purchasing though, you don't want to fork out that much $'s and get a lemon.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

You're right, and reveiws use to come out quite quick after a new product is released.

if not before hand

i know that htey demo'd d3 with the radeon 9700. Also, the developers said they liked the Radeon alot and how it handled the game. At least this is what I remember...

Found this information and it sounds really nice:

"There is a lot of false information floating around on the internet about what kind of super computer you'll need to run Doom 3. Here is what we know:

John Carmack, who is programming the graphics of the game, has stated that you'll be able to run Doom 3 with all graphicsdetails at a reasonable framerate (probably around 30 fps) with a Geforce 3. Anything below that (Geforce 2, Radeon DDR) and you will have to turn down a lot of the details to get it to run well.

Doom 3 is designed for a Geforce 1 level class of card, so any DirectX 7 card with hardware T&L will be able to display all the effects.

Doom 3 was shown at Quakecon running on a P4 2.2 GHZ with a Radeon 9700. It has been shown twice on the Radeon 9700, and was shown at a higher resolution and framerate the second time. This means the code is improving, and a Radeon 9700/Geforce 4 card should be able to run the game smoothly with all the details turned up.

If you're wondering if you should upgrade now, you could hold off until early 2003 when newer cards are being released. A Geforce 4 or Radeon 9700 should run the game great, but there will better cards available by the time of release."

Thread Information