Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DVDR - What to buy?

I want to record my own DVDs and I've justed started looking , any suggestions ?
    AMD Thunderbird AXIA 1000MHz @ 1400MHz
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    Globalwin FOP-38 w/Delta
    1024MB PC2100 DDR (2-2-2)
    Leadtek Geforce 3 TD - 210/500
    Soundblaster Live!
    Plextor 16x10x40x
    20GB WD 7200RPM ATA66
    40GB WD 7200RPM ATA133
    60GB Maxtor 7200RPM ATA100
    Enlight Case / 17" Hansol Monitor

as i have seen i know that HP has a DVD burner they are preatty decent as the quality of the product is concerned. Then there is a Philips DVD burner that is like a VCR u can record and all no pc req. im guessing sony also has a DVD burner....

sony has a DVD burner that can burn multiple formats. This is the one I would get, if I was in the market for a DVDR. It is really nice, b/c you have the multiple formats. Look here for more info.

Just one thing to remeber when shopping for a DVD, make sure they will be compatable with your DVD player (not one in your computer), if you have one.:thumb:

I have a Pioneer A04 DVD-R/RW writer, which is probably the most widely available drive of it's type. Be aware that there are two competing recordable DVD formats: DVD-R/RW (Pioneer) and DVD+R/RW (Sony, Philips etc.) There are pro's & con's for either fromat; DVD-R/RW media is a lot cheaper (45 pence / disc here in the UK), and offers the best compatibility with domestic DVD players. As I understand it though, DVD+RW discs can be written to & ersased more times than DVD-RW discs, but are relatively expensive.

A few words about copying DVDs. Firstly, most movies on DVD are encrypted, so you'll need a program like Smartripper or such to decode the video & audio streams. Secondly, you will need some kind of DVD authoring software, which may or may not come with the DVD writer...mine was a bare OEM drive. You can download the trial version of "SpruceUp" online though, and there is a crack out there somewhere too if you know where to find it ;) It is only very basic though, so if you want to do any fancy stuff you might wanna invest in a more capable programme. Finally, be aware that a DVD-R can only hold 4.2Gb...a DVD9 disc (ie, most newly released DVD movies) hold more than twice this much data, so if want to fit a whole movie on one DVD-R, be prepared to recompress the video using ReMPEG or similar program...which is a lengthy process.

Hope all this helps...copying DVD's isn't the same as copying audio CD's,more's the pity :(

Take a look at http://vcdhelp.com for all the info you'll ever need on this topic :)

Thread Information