Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB flash drives

I have several presentations to give at a national convention. I was thinking of getting a USB Pen Drive instead of burning everything onto CD.

Anyone had any experience and or problems with these devices?

PEN DRIVE

Flash media is extremely reliable, from what I've read. I've got multiple flash media cards for my digital camera, and they work wonders. They even work as portable drives with my flash reader (came with the Soyo SY-KT400 mobo).

Looking at that site, it looks like a great idea, and a useful tool, but I'd research it more before jumping on their hype.. any site will hype its own product :p

It was interesting that a FAQ was "what should i do if my pen drive is dropped in water".
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

I GOT ONE! I GOT ONE!

I actually just went down to Best Buy the other day and picked up a 128mb BUSLink Pen Drive. I havent had alot of time with so i dont know if its reliable yet, but so far its been good. My only prob is that you have to carry the CD of drivers if you plan on using it on Win98 systems (which i do both) and that gets to be a pain in the a$$ if your on someone elses PC and you want MP3's or images or whatever and they have Win98. Its weird asking someone if you can install a little program that they will never have a use for.

So far its worked wonders not to have to make sure someone had a Burner, and then make sure the program was able to write sessions on an open cd, just to be able to get an image file I found on their PC on the off-chance im gonna use it in design.

I say buy one, its typically only 50-100$US and you use it. I use mine every other day moving large Photoshop files to my moms PC (which has internet) from my house, and to the PC's in the graphic design class (win98, aaargh) it hangs on my key chain, and i dont regret spending the money. I got a deal 50$ on an open itme at Best Buy, and its 128Mb!

Heh,

I went out and bought the 128 MB one. It should be able to hold mine and everyone elses presentations and then some...

I use SD flash memory in my IPAQ but syncing that up with other's PC's is a pain when you travel about.

Thanks for your input!

How much you spend?

$70 US

hmm, that is a lot of money for a little bit of space. I just found a cool thing, mini cdrw's. They hold 211MB and are small. A 10 pack and 10 pack of case cost me @ 10USD. So far they have been great. I used one to carry a power point presentation, a director presentation and even an album of mp3s. These are not to be confused with Sony minidiscs

Look here :thumb:

Heh, I've seen those...small enough to fit in a coat pocket or wallet.

My problem was...no burner to use.

Hmm. I have run into the same issue myself. I ended up using the smart media from my digital camera in a portable reader that doesn't need drivers under Win98SE , 2K, XP, ME, Linux..

Yeah Saidin I have some of those, They are really great. I use my CD-R ones for music atm but I will transfer the www.swg-holocron.com files onto one at a later date (CD-RW one). Memorex makes some that are colored (ones I have atm) and they look pretty good. Also here's a tip, If 210mb's isnt really enough try sticking tow of them back-to-back. I did that with 2 of mine, works great :thumb:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information