Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Tape Backup Drive... Advice??

I have upgraded my PC so that I'm at about 170 Gb now. I think I'd like to look into getting a tape backup drive. Obviously, it doesn't have to be able to back up 170 Gb, but I don't really want one of the 2/4 Gb ones either.

Does any one have any advice on a nice consumer-level tape drive? It could be external, or internal... new or refurbished... I really don't care... I just want to be able to afford it... not to mention the media!

I've been thinking Ebay would be the best place to find one, but i really don't think i know exactly what i'm looking for, so i was hoping someone could help me out in that department.

Thanks!
    ~ Jannae.

Beefy Guest

instead of a tape backup, one simple idea could be to get a removable HDD rack and a couple removable HDDs. That way, adding / removing files is much easier, and you can access them at any time.

I have thought about that, and I'm going to assume you offered that solution because it is cheaper, and that's what i was afraid of... :rolleyes:

I have not thrown the idea totally out, but i do feel that I would be more comfortable having tapes as opposed to having a HDD because of how easy it is to damage a HDD. Also because immediate accessibility isn't really an issue either.... This would be strictly for the purpose of not losing this MP3 collection that has been building over about 5 years now.

Beefy Guest

I can understand that. I've lost my collection before, and it wasn't pretty.

For a tape backup solution, I use a <a href="http://www.quantum.com/AM/products/dlt/dlt7000/default.htm" target="_blank">Quantam DLT 7000 Tape drive</a> (at work). It's an internal drive, capable of supporting up to 35GB / 70GB (compressed) of data. I haven't had a single issue with it yet. However, I can't seem to find a price for it, but it's most likely not really aimed at the consumer level.

Another idea could be to use writable DVDs. With the price of DVD burners and media constantly falling, this is now a possible option as well. At 4.7GB per disc, that's a couple thousand MP3s per disc (depending on bitrate of MP3s).

Thread Information