Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Budget Star Wars Galaxies Gamer System

Hello boys :)

This is my first post, so I hope my sig with my system specs is working.

My question is this:
    I am on a tight budget, but want to play SW Galaxies in Dec/Jan when it comes out. I am planning on upgrading in the next few weeks. I want to maximize cost vs performance, and this is what I am thinking...

Since I only have 256MB Ram, I was going to put another 256MB in for 512MB total

My GF2 wont even run SWG since a GF3 with T/L is the minimum spec.

Since, my CPU is only AMD 1600+, I am thinking to buy a geforce4 4400Ti, which should drop in price when the new nvidia chip comes out.

The problem is that I only have USD$150-200 to spend. The gf4 is about USD$220 last time I checked. I hope it will be down to 150 or less by the time Dec rolls around, that plus the 256MB RAM should keep me under USD$200

Should I just get the gf4 4200Ti, or maybe a gf3 for cheap? Will my CPU be a big bottleneck?

thank you :)

oh, my HD is a seagate barracuda at 7200rpm 20 GB
    AMD 1600+
    Abit KG-7 Lite
    Abit Geforce 2 64mb
    256 MB 2100 DDR RAM
    Seagate Barracuda 20GB at 7200RPM
    SB Audigy MP3
    Lian Li PC-30 Mini /c 2x80mm fans

oh, forgot to mention. I am worried about the gf4 being compatible with the KG-7 lite ABit MB. Read that in another thread that some MB are not compatible with the newer graphics cards.

Thank you
    AMD 1600+
    Abit KG-7 Lite
    Abit Geforce 2 64mb
    256 MB 2100 DDR RAM
    SB Audigy MP3

CHeck my sig, i have almost the same configuration and im playing galaxies when it comes out. All im gonna do is buy a GF4 4200 for bout 125$ and call it done. Check out the SWG thread over in the BG.... http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=5866 ... and i think 256 RAM is fine... and your board will do fine wioth the card, and if it wont check the Abit website for a BIOS revision, they do well with support.

Well, you can always get a Ti4200 and overclock it to the speeds of a 4400. :thumb:

But if you are on a really tight budget...I would wait until the game comes out and see if it runs. If it does then dont upgrade... you might end up saving some $. :thumb:

They are trying to make the game playable on even lower end systems. So that should be fine :thumb:. And check out the site im making: www.swg-holocron.com
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Well, considering Chaintech's Ti4600 is already on the cheap side; priced at 235 at newegg.com. By the time the new chipset from nVidia gets released the thing with be even cheaper. Take a look at it in newegg i use that card and haven't had any problems with it so far. I have overclocked it with good stability. I'm just not sure about your motherboard ques; but, like i said if budget is an issue and you are willing to wait...the ti4600 from Chaintech looks like its for you.
    - Damien

Thank you for the replies. To run SWG I have to buy a new graphics card, a GF2 will not work since it doesnt have T&L (all that pixel shading stuff, I presume). So the queston is what to buy gf3 or gf4.

The main reason is that I am currently playing DAoC (another MMORPG) and had a 500MHz Athlon with 320 RAM otherwise the same. And boy, on big raids I couldnt even tell what was going on. It was even hard to climb stairs in the main cities (I had to jump up each stair) because of the lag of so many people.

I wish I could 'try out' a GF3 to see if it is enough. But DAoC shipped with a min spec of 450MHz P-III and 128MB RAM with only 16MB video RAM. There is no way this will play the game well. If SWG says a 1GHz gf3 machine is the minimum spec, im not sure I would be fast enough.

I would hate to get a gf3 and have it not run well. And you better believe I am going to have my system up and running on Day 1 :)

Thanks for the advice
    AMD 1600+
    Abit KG-7 Lite
    Abit Geforce 2 64mb
    256 MB 2100 DDR RAM
    SB Audigy MP3

You could always look into a Radeon 8500 or 9000 Pro. The price may suit you better. ;)

Thread Information