Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Building a Gaming System, Please Help

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my really old box (PII, Voodoo3). The old faithful had served me well for 3 years, so I'm after a system that would last me about that long.

I need a gaming system. I don't play that many FPS games so red-hot performance is not what I'm really after. More interested in bang-for-the-buck factor. Still, most games nowadays benefit from 3D so I guess I'm gonna need a decent 3D performer.

After looking around this is the system that I'm considering with:

Athlon XP 2000 XP+
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP RAID
    Kingston PC2100 DDRAM 512 MB
    128 MB GeForce4 Ti4200 (not sure which board)
    Western Digital 80 GB 7200 (8 MB cache)

-- and the usual bits and pieces.

I guess the biggest question in my mind is: how long would this system last before I would definitely have to upgrade again? When I buy a system I usually find the best value parts and and buy the ones next up. I find that usually nets me a solid system that doesn't break the bank.

Should I get that system or should I ramp up another level (2100 XP, PC2700 DDR, etc ...)? Is there any bottlenecks in the setup?

Also, what are your experiences with the Western Digital 8MB? Worth the premium? Noisy? Stable?

Thank you very much in advance for your advices!

PS: I live in Australia so the latest and greatest may not yet be available here.

Beefy Guest

Looks like a fair system. At the moment, especially in Australia, if you decide to push everything up a notch you'll be paying more for not much of an improvement. One thing you could do perhaps is go for a Radeon 9700 Pro. Costs a fair bit more than the GF4, but in my opinion would be worth it.

Another way to not have to 'definitely' upgrade at a certain point is to constantly keep your computer on the upgrade path, getting rid of parts when they are still worth something...

There is no bottlenecks with PC2100 but with the new 2800+'s coming out and having a FSB 333...you might want to look into PC2700. Since you plan on having a system thats upgradeable. You can always buy it afterwards but this will save you from buying something twice.

Western Digital has been good with me so far in every aspect. I am not using the Special Edition one but have 2 40GB HD from them and have used them on other comps. I have only heard good things so far from WD's 8mb cache Hard Drives.
    - Damien

Yes, that is a great system...for budget gaming.

I would do two things to it:

Get an Epox Mobo- better value, RAID Controller is better and the overclocking capabilities are better.

Go with at least PC2700 Memory.

Well, that is what I would do and let us know what you decide!
    :thumb:

my personal opinion is that a RAID controller on a typical desktop/gaming system is a waste of money...but of course I had to try it out for myself as well - so be my guest if you try it out for yourself

Hi again folks,

After reading your replies and talking to more people, I've updated the setup. Not set in stone yet but I'm going to buy this weekend:

Athlon XP 2000 XP+
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (not RAID)
    Kingston PC2700 DDRAM 512 MB
    Winfast 128 MB GeForce4 Ti4200 vivo
    Western Digital 80 GB 7200 (8 MB cache)

I'm still trying to decide which motherboard to get. I don't think I'm going to overclock the system, so the Epox option might not be applicable. Reading reviews, I came to the conclusion that without overclocking, most boards yield the same performance. So I'm looking for stability and features (USB 2.0 is a must). The Soyo Ultra looks good with its Sigma Box, so does Asus with its reputation and thermal protection. The Gigabyte is still my current choice since it supports USB 2.0 and is quite cheap.

A good onboard sound would be a bonus.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a stable and feature-loaded motherboard?

Thanks for your replies!

Maybe these links will help ya. :devil win
    http://www.epox.com/html/motherboard...lus&lang=1
    I've used the first extensively and own the last. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thread Information