Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Best Options for Upgrading P4 'puter

I have the following setup:

P4 1.4
    MB w/ 400 FSB
    512 mb PC800 ram
    Soundblaster card of some type
    Geforce 4 Ti 4400
    30 gig 7200 rpm HD
    Cable modem to 'net
    Win xp
    19" Trinitron monitor

This is a Gateway computer that I purchased approx 2 years ago as one of the 1st P4's to hit the streets (Whoopity-Do).

My wife is looking to dump about $400-500 my way for Christmas and I am thinking that I could upgrade the above computer. I know I can find a Asus i850 MB w/ 533 FSB and a p4 2.4 or maybe 2.53 for around this price. Is there any reason why putting this into my old system wouldn't make it pretty darn nice? Of course, my current setup works pretty well for AC2, but I am gearing up for the future (Doom III).

I would also consider AMD (and probably should for the price).

Thanks for the help

Really I'd leave the Gateway as it is and just start plannin' to build a new pc. Basically you'd be lookin' at replacin' case, cpu, memory, motherboard and power supply which just plain ain't worth it. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Really I'd leave the Gateway as it is and just start plannin' to build a new pc. Basically you'd be lookin' at replacin' case, cpu, memory, motherboard and power supply which just plain ain't worth it. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>
    I'll have to agree with that....just wait until you can't use it anymore for your needs...
    - Damien

Thread Information