Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z97 Motherboard recomendation

Question Z97 Motherboard+ PSU recomendation

Hi,

I'm having a hard time deciding which motherboard I should buy for my current planned build:
    CPU---> i5-4670K
    GPU---> Sapphire 7850 (Which I already have)
    SSD---> Samsung 840 Evo 120Gb
    Ram---> G.Skill 2133Mhz 2x4Gb Cl9
    CPU Cooler--> Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
    HDD--> 1x750gb,1x150Gb (Which I already have)
    Sound Card--> Asus Xonar D2X

The main use would be gaming, and I will overclock.

The decision is whether buying:

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
    for 113€

Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    for 126€

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 for 127€

My thoughts are with the Sabertooth because of the extended warranty, but I'm worried if the Asus ROG will give me a higher/better overclock.

This are my main choices, but I accept all suggestions.

Regarding the PSU, I can't decide whether a Seasonic M12II (Semimodular) with 620W or 520W. The difference is 15€.
    PD: The difference between the 4670K and 4690K is ~55€ because of an offer on the first one.

Thank you a lot!
    Last edited by Trinket; 06-26-2014 at 01:17 AM.
    PC:
    CPU---->e8400 3,0Ghz@3,6Ghz (515x7)
    CPUFan--> Zalman 9700 Led
    Ram---> 4x1GB OCZ HPC Reaper 1066 @ 1030
    Mobo--> GA-EP45-DS4 BIOS v.F10b
    Graphics->ATI Sapphire 7850
    PSU--->Tagan 600W

kephafan is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z97 Motherboard recomendation

I'll give you my noob two cents,
    I'm going with the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 (blue) which does have some overclocking but you might be interested in their top level overclocking mobo-Z97 Extreme9 (yellow).

I've been looking at the ASRock Extreme 6/ac.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Some non-noob opinions and reality checks...

For any kind of over clocking, a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo CPU cooler will be woefully inadequate for any Haswell 'K' processor. That is, if you plan on running any of the usual stress tests like Prime95 or AIDA64. It will be one small notch above the stock Intel cooler.

With an OC of 4.4GHz on my i5-4670K with a Corsair AIO water cooler with two 120mm fans, testing with AIDA64 with AVX instructions enabled, one or more cores hit 100C within one minute, and the CPU thermal throttled itself. That is why it is not uncommon for those that OC Haswell processors to "delid" their CPUs, remove the IHS and replace the TIM or run direct die with their CPU cooler. Once you get past ~4.2GHz, the temperature rises quickly.

If you are coming from your E8400 CPU PC, forget 90% of what you know about OCing, Haswell is a different world. Read as much as you can about it.

ASRock boards normally have a one year warranty. The OC Formula series have a five year warranty. OTOH I have four non-OC Formula ASRock boards, the oldest a Z77, and they all work perfectly.

The SaberTooth line of boards (I have two) are neither gaming nor OC type boards. You can do both on them of course, but that is not their intended strong points. Longevity is the main feature.

A ROG board is meant for gaming, and will not OC any better than any board that is meant to be used to OC. The differences in OC capability of the best boards is small, until you get into the true OC oriented products.

A 520W PSU will not have much headroom if you OC and are gaming. At least its a SeaSonic.

Thread Information