Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gonna get a laptop...need some advice

Hey guys. I've recently saved up some money and I plan on buying a laptop, I just don't know which one to get. I also have some questions since you guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

At first, I was looking at some of the Dell notebooks but I wasn't too impressed. Then I checked out some by Sager and they look very nice, but it's a little pricey. A good one from them would cost me about $1, 400 or 1,500 but I want to spend under $1,200 if possible.

After looking at both of those, I read the review on this site for the ECS I-Buddie 4 and that looks like it's right up my alley. My main use for the laptop will be to be play video games and to watch DVDs (won't be doing that too often, it's mainly for games and the internet) so it would be nice to have a laptop that I could upgrade.

Can anyone give me some more input on the I-Buddie 4 if they have used it or seen it in action? The video card that comes with it doesn't look all that impressive, so would I be able to replace that with a top notch card? If anyone can fill me in on these things and hopefully give me some more info, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Which currency?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

American

Sager expensive? where are you shopping? its not expensive when compared to comparable Dell, Compaq products.

http://www.discountlaptops.com/index...nclude_type=15

If you want to go like $1200 try a Desknote or something similar.
    http://desknote.net/products.html

or try EBay for someone selling a used model of the above mentioned laptops.

I just meant that the Sagers are a little out of my price range. And I already said that I was looking at the desknote.

A few more questions - can the video card on the I-Buddie 4 be replaced with something better? And would it be worth it for me to just save up the extra cash and get the Sager instead of the I-Buddie 4?

Alright. I think I'n gonna go with the I-Buddie 4 with preinstalled parts and Windows XP from http://www.gooddealpc.com

Is this a good price for this setup from them?

P4 2.4 GHz
    512 DDR Memory
    40 GB ATA100 Hard Drive
    8x8x4x24 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    USB External 3.5" Floppy Drive

for $1,370.

Is this good or would I do better buying my own parts? I don't even think I want to bother doing that.

So my 2 real questions are...

1. Can I change the video card in the desknote if I want to upgrade it? I haven't seen anything that says you can.

2. Is the 40 GB Hard Drive that comes with it 4200 or 7200 like the ones they sell on their site? I doubt anyone would really know about this unless they bought from them, but oh well.

Any help/input is appreciated before I go ahead and spend this much money.

I'm pretty sure that all the I-Buddies/desknotes from ECS (both intel and AMd based) use SiS chipsets with integrated graphics - there's no AGP slot & no way to add/upgrade a video card.
    Poor rendering performance is the downfall of almost all laptop type systems - all but the most expensive can't stack up to a middle-of-the-road desktop for gaming.

the ibuddies use std desktop cpu's and ram - but 4200rpm mobile hard drives - all of these components can be upgraded if you want

having said all that - if I was in the market for a lap top, I would probably get an i-buddy too
    :thumb:

Are there any good hard drives that I'd be able to get instead of using the standard 4200? I guess having a faster one would give the comp a pretty big boost, so I'm really interested in upgrading that. But are there any recommendations for a good and fairly cheap hard drive to get for the I-Buddie? I tried searching for them, but anything that's 2.5" and above 4200 seems very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by illmatic
    Are there any good hard drives that I'd be able to get instead of using the standard 4200? I guess having a faster one would give the comp a pretty big boost, so I'm really interested in upgrading that. But are there any recommendations for a good and fairly cheap hard drive to get for the I-Buddie? I tried searching for them, but anything that's 2.5" and above 4200 seems very expensive.
    IBM just started making 7200 rpm laptop IDE drives. and 5400 rpm drives have been available for a while.

scroll about 2/3 down to read the part about rotation speeds. http://news.com.com/2100-1001-964711.html?tag=lh

they won't be available till early next year most likely though.

Thread Information