Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AMD or Intel ??

I've decided to do my upgrade my PC, and am having trouble deciding on wether I should get an Intel or AMD based system. I haven't had an Intel system for over two years as the price Vs performance advantage has been firmly in AMD's favour for this time.

I was looking to get either an XP2400+, or an XP2600+ based system. Thing is the equivalent Intel CPU's (2.4GHz-2.67GHz) are quite competitve in price at the moment, especially when you consider you have the added expense of the HSF when buying anything faster than a 2200+ with AMD.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the P4 solution because of the new Hyperthreading technology and motherboards seem to be more feature rich than the AMD equivalent. What do you think I should get??

There's just one bit of info that ya left out and that is, what are ya primarily goin' to be doing with this? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yeah, that might come in handy. This rig will be used for gaming. If I go for the AMD idea, I was thinking;

XP2600+
    SLK-800 & 80mm Fan (no idea which fan to get)
    EPOX 8RDA+
    GF4 Ti4200 128MB
    2 X 256 PC2700

No idea for Intel yet.

Well for an AMD system that's a very good start. :thumb:

A WD JB series hard drive would be a good addition as well. ;)

If ya can stretch to PC3200-3500 it will be even better. :devil win

<small>I'll let someone else handle Intel suggestions for ya though</small>

I was thinking of getting 512meg CORSAIR XMS3200 as I plan to OC (I've been told I should be able to get the 2600+ to 3000+ with decent cooling, although I'm not 100% convinced).

However, I already have 256MB of PC2700DDR, so I can either pay another $130 and have 2 X 256MB PC2700. Or sell it and by a 512meg CORSAIR XMS3200 for about $400.

Is there really that much difference in performance between the two?

If ya can sell it and get the Corsair then the difference in performance is well worth it as it will just keep up with ya at insane timings at very high FSB's (200MHz+ at full on timings is very common which is well above the recommended Corsair timings). The mobo ya listed there will change the multipier of the CPU w/o havin' to unlock it ya self so gettin' a 133MHz FSB XP2600+ ya can instantly switch it over to 166MHz FSB (the 266's are cheaper here than the 333's atm) and run the memory at 200MHz. If ya want to go further then XMS3500 C2 would be a better choice. :devil win

WHOA!!! 133FSB > 166FSB on a XP2600+ is equal to about an XP3100+ isn't it?? I was going to be happy with a 150FSB!

Is it likely that an XP2600+ can be pushed this far and be stable?

I can't really say but the XP2400+ on that same mobo that I assisted/instructed a fellow with was at XP2800+ w/o much trouble but whether this is the norm or not will take a few more before final judgement is passed.

<small>sorry FLaCo but similar deal to your's though the numbers where very impressive b4 it left here</small>

I spose I'd be better off trying to get as close to a 200MHz FSB as to get around bandwidth problems of the 133FSB anyway? I might get it and see how I go. If I'm able to switch from 133 to 166 FSB I'd say the 2600+ CPU would be very close to maxed out, and my existing ram would be still operating within its capabilities. If I feel like the RAM is holding me back, or I want to go over a 166FSB I'm make the move to PC3500.

Thanks for the help :)

Thread Information