Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent price hike on DDR Ram

Anybody know the reason why the price on ram suddenly increased? Specifically DDR Ram. :mad:
    Abit KG7R
    1.33 Athalon T-Bird
    1 Gig Crucial DDR
    2 30 GiG Maxtor HDD (Stripped)
    Audigy Platinum Soundcard
    G-force MX 400 64Mb
    ATI 16Mb All-In-Wonder
    TDK 24x Burner
    Toshiba DVD

Well, the price of normal SDRAM went too low - the manufacturers lost control of the market and actually lose money on SDRAM. So DDR SDRAM is their saviour - now that the economy is in a downward spiral they need to make more $$$ - and that means raising the price on DDR SDRAM, because they can make more money from it :mad:

And FYI, DDR only costs about 10% more than normal SDRAM to manufacture - the rest is all profit :eek:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

The worst part is, P4 buyers may find it better to buy RDRAM instead of the DDR that was supposed to be a better deal for them. :eek:

Beefy Guest

The prices of all RAM are shooting up again.. well, here in Aus they are.. A friend of mine works in a computer store, and he keeps an eye on the prices.. all RAM went up 10% over the last week, and it's still going up.. so I went in there and managed to get 2 x 256 SD chips for $90 each, which is the old price.. I was happy.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Lander
    The worst part is, P4 buyers may find it better to buy RDRAM instead of the DDR that was supposed to be a better deal for them. :eek:
    I spec'd out a P4 1.8 system at work yesterday - to switch from 512MB DDr Ram to 512Mb RDRam & a compatible motherboard was only $70cdn.

they will probably stay like that until they invent another format for memory.
    Abit KG7R
    1.33 Athalon T-Bird
    1 Gig Crucial DDR
    2 30 GiG Maxtor HDD (Stripped)
    Audigy Platinum Soundcard
    G-force MX 400 64Mb
    ATI 16Mb All-In-Wonder
    TDK 24x Burner
    Toshiba DVD

Over the last few years memory has gone thru these cycles of low prices for a while then suddenly going up for a bit before dropping back down again so it's really nothing new. :smokin:
    <center> </center>

Well in AUS 256MB of DDR is selling for $185 and 256MB of RDRAM is selling for $215 - so RDRAM is somewhat competitive for once :eek:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Beefy Guest

think though.. RDRAM is close in price to DDR.. but what about the rest of the system? Mobo and CPU? as far as I know, most RD RAM MB's cost more than DDR, don't they?

Plus ya need to get RDRAM in pairs too. :zzz:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information