Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These Specs OK for a new gaming PC!

Hi All,

Used my time off to try and put together my new gaming PC which I'll be looking to buy within the first few weeks of the new year. I'd greatly appreciate any comments, or change of componentry recommendations you might have. My budget is around $2000, but I maybe able to stretch that a by a few hundred if it's worthwhile.

AMD XP 2400+ $379
    Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB $665
    Epox 8RDA+ Nforce 2 Motherboard $240
    512MB PC3500 Corsair DDR $465
    Antec 80mm Fan (for SLK-800) $25
    SLK-800 $110
    Codegen 300 watt ATX Case $85

TOTAL $1969

I'm pretty sure that most of these items are A1 apart from the case and 80mm fan. Also I know I can get bits cheaper, but I'd prefer to buy from retailers with decent customer service. These prices are from www.cworld.com.au and www.scorptec.com.au.

looks fine to me it's around the same as my comp good luck to ya on getting it all purchased and set up quickly :cheers:

Well with the board that you are getting you will prolly better off with 2 x 256 mb of memory and benefit from the dual channel support the nForce 2 brings.

Well, i know you are trying to save cash (like everyone else here) but for seem reason it only seems right to get a 400 W for that system...i builtmy buddy one almost exactly like that except he and 2600+ and dual channel MEM. he uses a 450.
    - Damien

The only change I would make would be to the PSU. The brand itself is of questionable quality (far too many duds of that brand have been thru my hands) and with the power probs that R9700's can (and will) cause I'd go for a minimum of 400w in this case. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Sure looks like a good setup to me!

Oh by the way I was looking at getting a similar setup....would a Antec 330W PSU be enough or would something more be better? This would be with a system with one HDD and one DVD drive and probably 2 case fans.

It maybe enough though I wouldn't bet on it with a R9700 as it has it's own power connector and sucks a lot of juice thru it from the PSU plus a lot of ppl that I know with good quality 350w PSU's have had to upgrade because because the R9700 was just to demanding on them. : peace2:

Thats exact reason why i choose the 450 PSU. When i saw the power conector on the 9700 and the added all those fans, plus mobo , etc etc it adds up...and its better to be safe and buy one time only.
    - Damien

Thanks heaps to everyone for their input. I finally got the courage to go ahead an order the bits for my new PC. This is what I've ordered so far;

Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
    Epox 8RDA+ (Nforce 2 chipset, no onboard display)
    2 X 256MB PC3500 Corsair XMS
    Xaser II 5000 Plus with 480W Antec True Power P/S
    SLK-800 Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II

I still have to order a CPU, but I thought I'd wait a bit for that as CPU prices tend to drop pretty stedily.

No problem M8..hehe...i am glad you went with Dual Channel =)

So, lemme get this str8 you are gonna have all your components at hand but no CPU...i dunno how you do it,....but i would go nuts ...

Though i would also wait for the cash to buy the 2600+ at 333 FSB since the 2400+ only brings a 266 FSB; and yyour new mobo supports that 333 FSB.
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    FLaCo[/size]]
    So, lemme get this str8 you are gonna have all your components at hand but no CPU...i dunno how you do it,....but i would go nuts ...
    Ya get use to that after a year or so of doin' it believe me. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information